X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victorian Muder Mystery outfit

On Saturday night we went to a virtual murder mystery set in 1899. My character was Fergus Macintyre. I wore the outfit below and won the costume contest. Most everything I'm wearing is from the Victorian Era, even down to the tea cup I used which was from the Diamond Jubilee of 1897. The one thing I would like to do would be to get a period correct shirt to complete the rig.

Last edited by McMurdo; 20th April 21 at 04:51 PM.

2. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champion!

Very sharp Glen. You do look like a "Fergus" here.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done!

You just might be the only person I've seen attend a Victorian/19th century/Dickens/US Civil War event who isn't wearing glaring anachronisms.

It's a source of continual amazement to me how people who are so careful to get every button period-correct when in "Saxon" dress, or period military uniform, throw out all sense of historicity when they don Highland Dress.

It's as if Highland Dress floats outside of time itself, much like the TARDIS.

Not only do men almost invariably wear sporran types that didn't appear until after World War One, they generally choose types that didn't appear until the 1970s, sporran styles linked to the then-new Kilt Hire Industry.

With jackets, they usually choose Prince Charlies, which likewise didn't appear until the 20th century.

Here's a collage I put together showing what I'm talking about. 5 of the 6 photos include outfits which couldn't possibly have been put together until after the 1960s.

Last edited by OC Richard; 20th April 21 at 08:26 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Richard,

I have taken some time to get this right. just for a run down here is the age on everything

Jacket and Waistcoat - 1894
    Kilt - Great War period (exact age unknown)
    Hose - Gairloch pattern dated 1847, modern construction
    Shoes - Modern Cole Hahn
    Sgian Dubh - Handmade ebony and silver with a Cairngorm top from the 1970's
    Tie - 1900
    Sporran - 1911
    Cuff Links - 1900
    Garter ties from House of Cheviot modern
    Shirt - Charles Tyrwhitt modern
    Pocket watch chain-Victorian date uncertain
    Pocket watch fob - Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee medallion 1897
    Pocket watch - Dollar watch from the 1950’s or so but exact date unknown

I would like to get a period correct shirt, but that will come in time to really pull this all together, as well I would like to have a 4-5 yard box pleat in my Clan tartan as well to go with the outfit, again this will come in time.
    Last edited by McMurdo; 21st April 21 at 04:25 AM.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's super!

The only thing I have that's remotely similar is my Dr Jones outfit with original 1920s/1930s glasses, cufflinks, watch fob, and pen, the rest being modern bespoke items.

I especially like the detail of your Victorian watch fob! It's sometimes the things that others don't see that can make an outfit special.

For Dr Jones I invented the backstory that in 1926 he made the train trip to Chicago to attend the 28th Annual Eucharistic Congress, the first time on US soil, which attracted a million people. A commemorative watch fob was a widely-sold souvenir. It has a lovely depiction of the Grail with beams of light shining from it, like one of the illustrations in his Grail Diary, which surely must have appealed to him.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    That's super!

The only thing I have that's remotely similar is my Dr Jones outfit with original 1920s/1930s glasses, cufflinks, watch fob, and pen, the rest being modern bespoke items.

I especially like the detail of your Victorian watch fob! It's sometimes the things that others don't see that can make an outfit special.

For Dr Jones I invented the backstory that in 1926 he made the train trip to Chicago to attend the 28th Annual Eucharistic Congress, the first time on US soil, which attracted a million people. A commemorative watch fob was a widely-sold souvenir. It has a lovely depiction of the Grail with beams of light shining from it, like one of the illustrations in his Grail Diary, which surely must have appealed to him.

Here is a close up of the watch fob, it is a Glasgow Children's Fete medallion.

12. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's beautiful!

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: