X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I don't know about the WSG company.

But yes it's an old 93rd Foot / Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders sporran.

That sporran was worn by Other Ranks of the 93rd Foot (Sutherland Highlanders) from c1830 to 1881.

In 1881 the 93rd became the 2nd Battalion The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders (the 1st Battalion was the old 91st Foot Princess Louise's Argyllshire Highlanders).

Here's that sporran being worn

Here you can see three different sporrans worn by members of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

-grey sporran, at left, worn by pipers
    -badger mask sporran worn by the sergeant and officer
    -OR's sporran worn by the other ranks.

Last edited by OC Richard; 27th September 21 at 04:29 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Sorry I don't know about the WSG company.

But yes it's an old 93rd Foot / Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders sporran.

That sporran was worn by Other Ranks of the 93rd Foot (Sutherland Highlanders) from c1830 to 1881.

In 1881 the 93rd became the 2nd Battalion The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders (the 1st Battalion was the old 91st Foot Princess Louise's Argyllshire Highlanders).

Here's that sporran being worn

Here you can see three different sporrans worn by members of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

-grey sporran, at left, worn by pipers
    -badger mask sporran worn by the sergeant and officer
    -OR's sporran worn by the other ranks.

Thanks so much, excellent!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

Here's an actual Cameron Highlanders Other Ranks sporran with the original correct badge:

About the Other Ranks sporrans of the five post-1809 kilted regiments, the designs they ended up with by 1881 had the Black Watch and Camerons with plain leather cantles with stitched leather rim, and leather cones to the tassels. The Seaforths, Gordons, and Argylls had metal rims, and metal cones to the tassels.

The Black Watch, Seaforths, and Gordons had white sporrans with black tassels while the Camerons and Argylls were reversed.

Unlike the other kilted regiments in the Camerons the same sporran was worn by Other Ranks, Sergeants, and even Officers in certain orders of dress
    When I was at High school, the school had hundreds of these Camerons sporrans for the cadet unit & the pipe band. I believe they were donated to the school by the Australian Army when the Queensland Cameron Highlanders were disbanded in the late 1940s. I'd love to know where all these sporrans are now, the cadet unit no longer exists with the kilted uniform & strong link to the school.

Here are a couple of photos of me wearing one of these sporrans with a couple of different uniforms in about 1995. (Not sure why they're not displaying the right way up?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210928_171944.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	40675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210928_171745.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	40676
    Rama4390

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12