X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fishtail back on kilt with button braces?

I know some men have put braces buttons on the kilt to wear with braces, but has anyone ever put fishtail backs on the kilt as well? On trousers, a fishtail back allows for a much more comfortable hanging from the braces than a standard straight cut waistband. People sometimes sew patches of cloth to straight waistbands to modify them into fishtails.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an interesting question, but I am afraid that I have no answer to it. I await responses if there are any, with interest.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen anything like that, but I think that may be because the kilt does not need braces to hold it up.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I've never seen anything like that, but I think that may be because the kilt does not need braces to hold it up.
    I bought a very old kilt with the Royal Stewart tartan. It came with a drummers plaid (with a belt). The tartan on both was faded on the outside but not on the inside, so it must have been worn outdoors quite a bit. It also has suspender buttons sewn on the inside. I like the real faded tartan. It is a little small for me, but I am in the process of losing weight on doctors order, so I'm hoping to shrink into it. I probably won't use suspenders with it.

Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
    I bought a very old kilt with the Royal Stewart tartan. It came with a drummers plaid (with a belt). The tartan on both was faded on the outside but not on the inside, so it must have been worn outdoors quite a bit. It also has suspender buttons sewn on the inside. I like the real faded tartan. It is a little small for me, but I am in the process of losing weight on doctors order, so I'm hoping to shrink into it. I probably won't use suspenders with it.

Dave
    Would you mind showing us some pictures?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand completely that people have seen buttons on the inside of their kilts for braces, however what I was referring to was the question of a fishtail back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fishtails and suspenders

A proper fitting kilt would no doubt come up to the same level as the top of the fish tail, so I would think there would be no advantage. I thought the fishtails and suspenders on trews was so they didn't slip below the jacket or tunic when riding or sitting, was it not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinenotburn View Post
    A proper fitting kilt would no doubt come up to the same level as the top of the fish tail, so I would think there would be no advantage. I thought the fishtails and suspenders on trews was so they didn't slip below the jacket or tunic when riding or sitting, was it not.
    No, that's not the benefit as jackets are too long for that problem to occur and shirts also used to be crotch length (before the advent of separate undergarments) for that to be an issue. the advantage of a fishtail is in comfort regarding that pressure of the waistband is distributed along the natural contour of the small of the back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriegbert View Post
    No, that's not the benefit as jackets are too long for that problem to occur and shirts also used to be crotch length (before the advent of separate undergarments) for that to be an issue. the advantage of a fishtail is in comfort regarding that pressure of the waistband is distributed along the natural contour of the small of the back.

As it is in a proper fitting kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinenotburn View Post
    As it is in a proper fitting kilt.
    No, you seem to misapprehend the point. Regardless of proper fit, the two styles are different mechanisms of wear. Braces work against gravity by hanging weight from the shoulders. A waistband kilt (or trousers) use lateral force for security. The point being: when suspended from the shoulders, fishtails provide a benefit (indeed, a fishtail without braces would be utterly pointless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast