X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriegbert View Post
    No, you seem to misapprehend the point. Regardless of proper fit, the two styles are different mechanisms of wear. Braces work against gravity by hanging weight from the shoulders. A waistband kilt (or trousers) use lateral force for security. The point being: when suspended from the shoulders, fishtails provide a benefit (indeed, a fishtail without braces would be utterly pointless.

I do see your point. I suppose the distribution of weight would be extended evenly along the base of the fishtail, more so than being distributed across four buttons on the inside back of one kilt.

Kind of like overalls minus the flap in the front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinenotburn View Post
    I do see your point. I suppose the distribution of weight would be extended evenly along the base of the fishtail, more so than being distributed across four buttons on the inside back of one kilt.

Kind of like overalls minus the flap in the front.
    The biggest two advantages with braces seem to be: since they hang from the shoulder, the waistband can be loose, which is particularly useful if you have a large meal, and secondly, always reverts to the original position regardless of whatever acrobatics you pull off.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Kriegbert For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you mind showing us some pictures?
    I would not mind at all. I'll get back to you.

Dave

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest two advantages with braces seem to be: since they hang from the shoulder, the waistband can be loose, which is particularly useful if you have a large meal, and secondly, always reverts to the original position regardless of whatever acrobatics you pull off.
    I like to wear braces with my suits. I agree! I'm in sales and when I do outside sales, I like to be able to sit with my customers comfortably. The discussions can often get long and drawn out. Also, when I stand up, I want to look neat and together. Braces are the best way to facilitate this.

Dave

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Crazy Dave For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I've never seen anything like that, but I think that may be because the kilt does not need braces to hold it up.
    Glen, I need to disagree respectfully. There are a lot of threads where the fellows talk about starting their kilt at the top of the kneecap and having to hitch it back up when it reaches the bottom. Obviously, braces would solve that problem.

Further, I am one of the few whose waist, stomach, and hips have exactly the same circumference. All I need to do to remove my kilt is to suck in my stomach and the kilt falls to the floor. For those of us unfortunate enough to have such an arrangement, the braces solve the problem completely, so yes, I do wear them.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Glen, I need to disagree respectfully. There are a lot of threads where the fellows talk about starting their kilt at the top of the kneecap and having to hitch it back up when it reaches the bottom. Obviously, braces would solve that problem.

Further, I am one of the few whose waist, stomach, and hips have exactly the same circumference. All I need to do to remove my kilt is to suck in my stomach and the kilt falls to the floor. For those of us unfortunate enough to have such an arrangement, the braces solve the problem completely, so yes, I do wear them.
    I understand that. As I said above I have seen buttons for braces on a kilt. What I have not seen is a fishtail back on a kilt.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in the same boat as you Father Bill, but I am also short 5'6" plus my weight can fluctuate sometimes 5 or 6 pounds in a day. I would like to start wearing braces with the kilt, so any information about button placement would be helpful. I only go for walks or short hikes and have to hitch up my kilts constantly.
    Last edited by pofloyd1; 30th April 21 at 06:43 AM.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to pofloyd1 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you mind showing us some pictures?
    IMG_0120.jpg IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg IMG_0126.jpg
    Last edited by Crazy Dave; 30th April 21 at 01:51 PM. Reason: better use of space.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pofloyd1 View Post
    I am in the same boat as you Father Bill, but I am also short 5'6" plus my weight can fluctuate sometimes 5 or 6 pounds in a day. I would like to start wearing braces with the kilt, so any information about button placement would be helpful. I only go for walks or short hikes and have to hitch up my kilts constantly.
    I've attached my own buttons. One pair appropriately spaced in the middle of the back of course, one pair attached to the inner apron just to the fore of the buckle placements. Your placements may vary since part of the goal is to keep them hidden well within your jacket. Of course, with a jumper that's immaterial. (In the material, get it?) You may need to move a button or two after experimenting, but frankly, I find that my kilt hangs and looks better for the addition of the braces.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've attached my own buttons. One pair appropriately spaced in the middle of the back of course, one pair attached to the inner apron just to the fore of the buckle placements. Your placements may vary since part of the goal is to keep them hidden well within your jacket. Of course, with a jumper that's immaterial. (In the material, get it?) You may need to move a button or two after experimenting, but frankly, I find that my kilt hangs and looks better for the addition of the braces.
    I'm not surprised, Father Bill. I wouldn't go to a job interview or a customer site without them. Suits look so much better with braces. It makes sense that Kilts do too.

Dave

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Crazy Dave For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12