X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The green kilt in my photos above is over 20 years old.

I have only worn it a couple of times with a leather strap, and countless times with a metal chain.

There is no pilling, plucks or any other visible damage to this kilt.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great. Glad that works for you.

I choose not to risk my kilts...our mileage differs.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The long-link chains have been around since Victorian times, I think.

Here are a couple I have, one around 100 years old, the other modern:

About the chains with big ornamental links, Celtic knots, thistles, etc, they became a huge fad in the Pipe Band world just within the last decade or two.

Not coincidentally they got popular when Pipe Bands stopped wearing jackets and went with the current waistcoat-only look. Seems that it was just too tempting to add some bling!

IMHO the fancy chains look incongruous with the leather Hunting sporrans that most Pipe Bands wear.

Ian Grant (Edinburgh) makes elaborate sets of regalia, everything having matching emblems in gold:

These have been adopted by some Pipe Bands, here are members of the Los Angeles Scottish Pipe Band wearing Ian Grant sporrans with the fancy chains. The also have matching Ian Grant cap badges and kilt pins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8yap7UQc-g
    Last edited by OC Richard; 19th October 21 at 04:50 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I wear a sporran chain rather than a leather strap I use a long link silver chain, mine dates back to the 1940's it has never given me any issues at all. I find the real issue is that cheap chains damage wool while a quality chain will work just fine.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I find the real issue is that cheap chains damage wool while a quality chain will work just fine.
    Exactly.

Vintage Scottish-made sporrans and sporran chains are smooth on the back and impart very little wear to the kilt.

Pakistani-made sporrans and sporran chains often have metal burrs on the back.

What I do, before I wear something, is to run my hand over the back and make sure there aren't any sharp bits.

It can be something as simple as the rivet holding the buckle on the leather sporran strap having a burr.

I file it smooth before I wear it.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Exactly.

Vintage Scottish-made sporrans and sporran chains are smooth on the back and impart very little wear to the kilt.

Pakistani-made sporrans and sporran chains often have metal burrs on the back.

What I do, before I wear something, is to run my hand over the back and make sure there aren't any sharp bits.

It can be something as simple as the rivet holding the buckle on the leather sporran strap having a burr.

I file it smooth before I wear it.
    I am curious, what is it with pakistan in particular seeming to make all these low grade kilt things? I guess I’m so used to cheap things being made in china that I’m a bit surprised when I hear things made in other countries I’m just curious

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriegbert View Post
    I am curious, what is it with pakistan in particular seeming to make all these low grade kilt things? I guess I’m so used to cheap things being made in china that I’m a bit surprised when I hear things made in other countries I’m just curious
    People are surprised to hear that the world centre of bagpipe making (in terms of numbers of bagpipes made) is Sialkot, Pakistan.

Ditto kilts, sporrans, and so forth.

I suppose it dates back to the early 20th century when the 2nd Battalion The Black Watch was stationed there.

There are so many firms there! Some make quality goods, some make horrid tat. Sadly they all tend to get painted with the same broad brush.

You would be surprised how many firms in Scotland sell Sialkot-made sporrans, jackets, hose, etc. Too bad the UK doesn't have the same labelling laws we do here in the USA, where all clothing must contain labels stating a number of things, such as place of manufacture and fibre content.

But in Scotland a firm can be set which puts labels on its Pakistan-made products saying "So-and-So Scotland" which implies (but does not openly claim) that the goods are Scottish-made.

What puzzles me is when actual UK makers don't put labels on their products saying "Made in the UK" "Made in Britain" "Made in Scotland" etc. They could easily distinguish themselves from the Pakistani makers, but choose not to.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 17th December 21 at 05:17 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12