X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tweed kilt vs 5 yard

I noticed that there are tweed tartan options listed under the 5 yard kilt, and some of those options are also available under the tweed kilt listing. Is there a difference in construction, or are these merely fabric options?
    Trying to avoid “looking like a refugee from a pantomime.” (hat tip Jock Scot)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelkilt View Post
    I noticed that there are tweed tartan options listed under the 5 yard kilt, and some of those options are also available under the tweed kilt listing. Is there a difference in construction, or are these merely fabric options?
    I am not trying to be cleaver here but, I assume from your question, perhaps incorrectly, you mean that there is tartan made of tweed(remembering most tartan cloth is not tweed) that can be made into a kilt and then the more usual, there is tweed made into patterns befitting suits, sports jackets, etc. which could be made into a kilt. So I think in this case, your question is rather ambiguous.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 3rd May 21 at 04:32 AM. Reason: trying to phrase my answer correctly.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They're merely fabric choices. We've had a few requests for tweed kilts and several in tweed tartans, so we put the tweed tartans in both areas on the website. The construction is the same. 😁

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyR View Post
    They're merely fabric choices. We've had a few requests for tweed kilts and several in tweed tartans, so we put the tweed tartans in both areas on the website. The construction is the same. 😁
    Thank you for the info!

Follow up: This isn’t meant to be combative (it’s on me for not doing my own homework on the website), but why the difference in price ($299.99 for the 5 yard, $349.99 for the tweed)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the info!

Follow up: This isn’t meant to be combative (it’s on me for not doing my own homework on the website), but why the difference in price ($299.99 for the 5 yard, $349.99 for the tweed)?
    Indeed, depending on the tweed you select the difference may be up to $110.00.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 9.29.30 PM.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	40042

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    Indeed, depending on the tweed you select the difference may be up to $110.00.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 9.29.30 PM.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	40042
    Aren’t those the same tweed tartan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren’t those the same tweed tartan?
    Yes, indeed. By the look of things, the same kilt will be made up in that same tweed tartan, with a $100.00 difference in cost depending on which button you click.

I'm sure Rocky will adjust this appropriately.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good catch Kenneth!

I didn't know, I ordered my tartan tweed kilt through the regular 5 yard kilt process, and selected the Marton Mills tartan tweed.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte