X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help with a custom button up shirt

Hi Serial Kilters,

I would like to get a button up shirt made with my family's tartan.(logan if you didn't know) looking at it, it would be easier and more cost effective if I ordered the cloth directly from the mill and get someone locally to make it for me instead of getting the shirt custom from some company. The question is, how much tartan cloth do i order? Im a 5'8 and 190lb. the majority of the time I would be wearing it open/casually but i would like to have it be able to actually button up for when i want to dress up for an event. Also, what kind of weight do I need the cloth to be? I would like to be able to wear it all year round with out getting to hot or to cold. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

37496F10-10B1-476A-868A-352F827C84C0.jpg 62F9DC2D-C149-4CF6-8B0E-BA02E33400BA.jpeg
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm lucky, L.L. Bean does this for me. :-p

I wonder though, do you already have shirt in your wardrobe which you can wear year-round without being too hot or too cold? If so, what kind of fabric is it made of, and what weight is that fabric? I'd love to know, as I haven't found one yet. For me, it's poplin in the summer and flannel in the winter.

If you're going to have a shirt made of tartan, I'd think you'd want the lightest weight possible. 10oz wool, like Lochcarron's Reiver tartan, is still very heavy for a shirt. L.L. Bean's heaviest flannel shirt, for example, is a 7.5oz cotton chamois. Their Maine Guide shirt-jacket is an 11oz fabric.

As far as how much material to order, I would find the shirt-maker first, and ask them how much cloth they'll need in order to make a shirt.
    Last edited by KennethSime; 9th May 21 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    can i ask how llbean does this for you?
    Clan Logan Representative of Ontario
    https://www.instagram.com/clanlogan_ontario_canada/ (that's where i post my blogs)
    https://www.tiktok.com/@clan_logan_ontario

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll suggest something in line with KennethSime and propose trying to find your clan tartan in a cotton (or poly-cotton) weave rather than actual wool tartan cloth. You may be able to find a place that has enough yardage on hand without requesting a special weave. Special weaves tend to be a lot more expensive, as most places won't do a setup for just a couple of yards worth of material.

When my sister got married, she searched a bit for a source for our clan tartan in cotton, as she's allergic to wool, but wanted to incorporate the tartan in some of the decorations and as a shawl/wrap for herself.

If you haven't looked yet, LL Bean offers shirts ('Scotch Plaid flannel' and a 'wrinkle-free mini-tartan dress shirt') in a couple of clan tartans every year, in addition to Black Watch and a couple of other 'standards' and a couple of fashion plaids. They change the clans offered every year.
    Last edited by EagleJCS; 10th May 21 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typos
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Logan View Post
    can i ask how llbean does this for you?
    I jest a bit here Patty - LL Bean occasionally includes the Fraser tartan in their lineup of flannel shirts. This year, it was Fraser Hunting Ancient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    I'll suggest something in line with KennethSime and propose trying to find your clan tartan in a cotton (or ploy-cotton) weave rather than actual wool tartan cloth.
    You know, now that you mention it, I bet SportKilt's poly-blend material would make a nice flannel shirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stumbled across this place, they may have what you're looking for.
    https://www.spoonflower.com/en/shop?...rt=bestSelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scotland Shop may be able to help:

https://www.scotlandshop.com/us/clot...ts/plaid-shirt

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Purely out of interest, are you planning to wear the tartan shirt with your tartan kilt?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast