X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome from Killeen/Central Texas

Happy to have you on board!!

Jack

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to GrymJack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome from Aggieland!

Howdy from College Station. Welcome aboard!

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to unclemjm For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the welcomes and greetings ... I was surprised in yesterdays mail when I received my Kilt !! After only 4 days and not the predicted 10 weeks. Hoping it would arrive in time for my Mother’s CoL in July ... so, I’min luck.

According to my father, the Torrey family having been affiliated with the Campbell Clan, which made it easy to choose the Tartan. I selected a traditional style in a wool blend Ancient Campbell ...

Of course I wasted no time trying it on, and without having thought about it before hand, easily figured which was front and back ... never thought to ask... I do have a Jacobite shirt, but need to get other accessories, belt, sporran, kilt pin, brooch, socks and flashes ordered !!! Oh, I ended up purchasing a sash, instead of the more traditional fly plaid (before I read it is typically a fly plaid)... so am hoping to not draw to much criticism from y’all ... lol.

I’m thinking a vest/waistcoat and jacket might finish it off nicely .. .
    Last edited by MarkInCentralTexasUSA; 14th May 21 at 09:00 PM.
    Mark in Central Texas
    American Born, but discovering my Celtic Roots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Southern California.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear, the flat part goes in front. The pleats go in the back.
    I don't want you to embarrass yourself, as others have.
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to bdkilted For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Michigan!

From your accessory list, I'd recommend going after these in order of importance:

* Sporran. Required for modern life unless you're wearing a utility kilt or something with pockets.
    * Hose (socks). A good pair of hose keeps you surprisingly warm even in below zero weather. You're in Texas, so that part might be less applicable, but keep in mind that kilt hose can be very warm. Be sure to pick up some lighter cotton hose for summer time - they are much cooler. Usual advice is to go with a solid color that isn't white, since white is rather overdone from the kilt hire scene.
    * Belt. I always wear a belt with my kilt. But if your kilt is built properly, a belt is purely decorative and serves no function whatsoever in keeping your kilt up. I like to wear a belt as a visual break between the kilt and whatever shirt I'm wearing.
    * Flashes. These are actually quite functional. They keep your hose up, but they also actually keep my legs warmer in the winter by providing a nice seal at the cuff of the hose. Again, that part's probably less relevant to you.
    * Vest/waistcoat and jacket. Good quality ones can be a bit of an investment, so before you get one, ask for some advice. I'm not a good one to ask because I rarely have the occasion to dress up to where I'd need this. There are some excellent places to acquire very nice sets of these, and if you ask you'll likely get lots of good pictures you can use for inspiration.
    * Kilt pin. You have a wool kilt, so you may not actually need this. Kilt pins can be a very nice decoration. But they do tend to put holes in the tartan as they flop back and forth while you're walking. They are quite functional on lighter weight kilts. So for example I have a kilt pin on all of my casual P/V kilts since otherwise the apron is light enough it tends to blow around in the wind quite a lot. My semi-trad P/V kilt is heavy enough to not need one, so I do not have a kilt pin on it. I love the look of them, I have them on nearly all of my kilts, and they can be functional depending on your kilt. This is a personal preference thing.
    * Fly plaid and broach. These tend to be a little looked down on here as being...a little theatrical, I guess, is the best way to describe it. I don't have one. I do think they look cool, but you'll definitely stand out. But don't worry too much about adding this to your outfit, because almost nobody on here wears them.

One other one to think about as you browse the forums:
    * Ghillie brogues. I have a pair. I have never had the occasion to wear them because of how over-the-top theatrical they actually tend to look when you put them on. Opinions on here tend to be nearly universal that these are not a great fit for most kilt wearers.

For inspiration, I'd recommend looking through the Kilted Friday Adventures thread:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...entures-72206/

Lots of good pictures on there. Also, keep in mind that kilts tend to be most comfortable at your natural anatomical waist, which is much higher than you'd wear jeans. It's different from person to person, but it's the narrowest part of your torso, and for me it's above my bellybutton. They're much more stable when worn in the right spot, so play around with the height a bit.

There will also by many opinions on here as to how best to wear your kilt. Keep in mind your intended use case. I wear kilts as really comfortable and cool-looking plain ol' regular everyday clothing. You really can just wear them as regular clothes and go grocery shopping, out for dinner, to work (some places), etc. It doesn't have to be a special occasion. I rarely have the opportunity to wear a kilt to a dressier event, so I usually wear mine with a decent button-up shirt as just casual clothes. Others never wear a kilt casually like I do. Some folks abhor the idea of a utility kilt. Others love them. So keep your use case in mind. And have fun with it!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by bdkilted View Post
    Just to be clear, the flat part goes in front. The pleats go in the back.
    I don't want you to embarrass yourself, as others have.
    Yessir ... that was the first question ... I think it obvious when you look at it .. hahahaa
    Mark in Central Texas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    Welcome from Michigan!

From your accessory list, I'd recommend going after these in order of importance:

* Sporran. Required for modern life unless you're wearing a utility kilt or something with pockets.

…..
    Balance of “quote” removed for brevity…

For inspiration, I'd recommend looking through the Kilted Friday Adventures thread:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...entures-72206/

Lots of good pictures on there. Also, keep in mind that kilts tend to be most……

…. Balance of “quote” removed for brevity ….

Others love them. So keep your use case in mind. And have fun with it!

Great advice Kyle thanks !! Seriously Thanks.. (PM me if you’re near Zeeland .. I’ve a bit of family in the area ..)

I actually have several pair of argyle socks from my cross country skiing days ... plus pair of blue that’d go well with my Tartan, I think ..

When I measured, he took both naval and where I wear my ‘jeans’ ... ordered the jeans size... when I got the kilt, it definitely ‘fit’ and looked better at the naval, actually just above .. .so a belt will ensure it stay put!!

I can see how some would view the fly plaid as more theatrical, but I do think it adds that touch of sophistication at functions that are more than simple casual .. but can see where the waistcoat and jacket would be very catching at a formal function. I plan on attending a few in full dress, so a proper vest/jacket would be something I’d do .. But, I’m not there yet ...

Can’t get the rest of the outfit soon enough .. Maybe I’ll take some pics and have y’all offer suggestions ..
    Last edited by MarkInCentralTexasUSA; 17th May 21 at 09:44 AM.
    Mark in Central Texas

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkInCentralTexasUSA View Post
    Great advice Kyle thanks !! Seriously Thanks.. (PM me if you’re near Zeeland .. I’ve a bit of family in the area ..)

------------

------------------ but I do think it adds that touch of sophistication at functions that are more than simple casual .. but can see where the waistcoat and jacket would be very catching at a formal function.

Actually and with the greatest respect, adding the fly plaid to your attire will achieve the exact opposite. Just so you know a belt is not worn when wearing a vest/waistcoat with the kilt and also when wearing Highland attire the bottom button of the vest/waistcoat is done up.

Oh, and welcome from Inverness-shire.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th May 21 at 08:43 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Actually and with the greatest respect, adding the fly plaid to your attire will achieve the exact opposite. Just so you know a belt is not worn when wearing a vest/waistcoat with the kilt and also when wearing Highland attire the bottom button of the vest/waistcoat is done up.

Oh, and welcome from Inverness-shire.
    Greetings Jock (if I may call you Jock ..),

First thank you for sharing your views … and second seriously, a huge thanks on the proper attire/etiquette guidelines as viewed by a Scot. I want, as much as possible, to represent the Scot in me/my family with authenticity, and not be construed as theatrical or as just a costume… This is why, I selected the Campbell Clan Tartan… and I believe as descendants of Scots we should hold those traditions sacred… I will continue to seek counsel on that end ..

Hopefully when the rest of my items arrive, and post pictures … y’all don’t laugh.. too loudly… and offer additional sage advice. I will of course share with my brothers …
    Mark in Central Texas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast