X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pleasure to lend a helping hand my dear chap and the name Jock suits me just fine.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th May 21 at 01:15 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no rule about the bottom button of a vest.

The thing about leaving the bottom button undone comes from a very rotund member of the Royal family. He could not get the bottom of his vest buttoned so started a whole new fashion craze.

The "Old School" way of explaining this is - If the bottom of your vest or waistcoat is straight along the bottom you leave the bottom button undone.
    If the vest or waistcoat is double breasted, all the buttons are done up.
    If the bottom of the vest or waistcoat has points, this simulates the bottom gaping open, so you button all the buttons.

But it's all just fashion. Wear your clothes the way you like. I prefer to leave the bottom button undone as this allows me to wear the sporran a bit higher sitting on the belly and not looking like a crotch protector.

But this is just my preference. Not a rule.

Last edited by Steve Ashton; 17th May 21 at 01:21 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve raises a reasonable point and the fashion of leaving the bottom button of the waistcoat undone with saxon(trousers etc..) attire is very much a general fashion today in Scotland, likewise with kilt attire in Scotland the bottom button of the waistcoat is done up and is the longstanding fashion here. I am not able to comment reliably on what happens on your side of the Atlantic. Its your choice, but as you are indicating that you want to follow kilt attire trends , then----------------
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 18th May 21 at 05:01 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkInCentralTexasUSA View Post
    When I measured, he took both naval and where I wear my ‘jeans’ ... ordered the jeans size... when I got the kilt, it definitely ‘fit’ and looked better at the naval, actually just above .. .so a belt will ensure it stay put!!
    Yeah, that would be about the only time I could think of where a belt might be a functional item - if the cut of the kilt is wrong for your body shape. Don't worry too much about it - I had the same problem with my first kilt when I followed the kiltmaker's measurement directions. Now you know, and you're in a much better position for your next one. But if you need a belt for a kilt, it's cut wrong. It should be narrow at the top and flare out around your hips so that it rests on the crests of your hips and needs nothing else to hold it up. Incredibly comfortable that way, since all of the weight of everything is held on actual structure rather than requiring a belt cinching down over soft tissue.

Steve has an excellent explanation of this here:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...91#post1392291

And, again, don't feel bad. It's an easy mistake to make, especially when you're told to make it.

Hopefully when the rest of my items arrive, and post pictures … y’all don’t laugh.. too loudly… and offer additional sage advice. I will of course share with my brothers …
    Eh, you can't do worse than some of the stuff we've seen. I can't find it now, but there's a thread somewhere around here with a link to an article of kilt advice on some other website where the title image was of two guys wearing their kilts backwards.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again all y’all, for the great words of advice. Having my own kilt, starts the experience part of learning… so I can now apply these words. Here’s my thoughts on the limited experience thus far …

On the ‘cut’ and ‘how to wear’ the kilt, I completely agree your kilt must ride higher than (where I normally wear my…), trousers (or.. pants, ‘jeans’, shorts… etc.). And, when cut properly for your body, no belt is required. Since my waist line being a bit larger than my hip line, but within the size range of the kilt belts, still allows me to wear my kilt at the naval and remain in place… so far. And, is actually quite comfortable at this height. I do think however to avoid damaging the kilt structure, until I can reduce this “soft tissue” size…�� I’ll likely wear an additional belt. My kilt, adds another incentive to reduce that waist line … in addition to the “encouragement” from the wife… ��

I have traditional suits (I.e. jackets and trousers), some colors actually complement those in my Tartan. However, it appears from most avatars, photos, and on line sales catalogs, a kilt jacket length is shorter than traditional suit jacket.. So my question is can a tradition suit jacket be worn with a kilt.. provided it’s complimentary in cut ?

Now, shirts .. I think the style of shirt worn is depended upon the occasion .. obviously a formal occasion requires a dress shirt, tie and waistcoat and jacket… and a bbq or games day something more casual. So, in theory I can wear my t-shirt, polo/golf, tech-fabric shirts to family events and bbq’s without causing a major fashion faux pax .. in other words it’s important to dress for the occasion …

Hey, thanks y’all again for indulging my quest … May all y’all have a blessed weekend !! And be safe in your public endeavors !!
    Last edited by MarkInCentralTexasUSA; 21st May 21 at 10:09 AM.
    Mark in Central Texas
    American Born, but discovering my Celtic Roots

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my question is can a tradition suit jacket be worn with a kilt.. provided it’s complimentary in cut ?
    Welcome from the Texas Hill Country.

As to your question, wearing a so-called Saxon-style jacket with a kilt results in a less than desirable (and decidedly non-traditional) look. The first and most important point is that it is way too long to look right with the kilt. Generally speaking, kilt jackets should not hang below the "fell" line of the kilt. That's where the pleated back is stitched together and the free hanging portion of the pleats start. A longer jacket will inhibit the motion of the pleats to some degree. And the proportions just get thrown off. A longer jacket is better suited to longer leg coverings (trousers). But the shorter kilt calls for a shorter jacket in order to maintain the right proportions of top and bottom, if that makes sense.

Aside from that, the longer jacket will also interfere with the sporran in front. Kilt jackets are shorter, but also tend to have a "swept" front that provides clearance for the sporran. For that matter, kilt waistcoats also tend to be shorter for this reason.

This isn't to say that you can't wear a regular suit jacket with a kilt. But the more you see traditional Scottish attire, the more it will just look "off" to see a longer jacket worn with a kilt.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Welcome from the Texas Hill Country.

.... authors previous comments removed for brevity ...

This isn't to say that you can't wear a regular suit jacket with a kilt. But the more you see traditional Scottish attire, the more it will just look "off" to see a longer jacket worn with a kilt.
    Greetings Tobus .. ya’ll are just down the road a bit from me over here in Bastrop Co. and thanks for confirming the direction on jackets I was moving toward ... I have a more ‘formal’ event coming up in September, so there’s still time to determine which style vest and jacket .. and as previous stated, my preference, relative to the event, is to be as authentic as possible....

Regards, Mark
    Mark in Central Texas
    American Born, but discovering my Celtic Roots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome fellow Texan from Harker Heights!
    Dave Chambers

The Order of the Dandelion, The Auld Crabbits, Clan Cameron, Kilted Scouters, WoodBadge Group, Heart o' Texians

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from the fort worth area

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123