X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    Isle of Skye and Holyrood are both great choices.
    So, now the decision is made, you need a project for while you wait. Save time and order an Isle of Skye now. You know as soon as you put one on and see how comfortable it is
    you're gonna want more. The rabble will confirm that; it's habit forming. Holyrood is a great choice; so is IoS. Both will fit with a broad range of colors comfortable to US eyes.
    With time and use it becomes clear how Scots feel comfortable with color combinations you might not see here; that is, it really is true that pretty much any tartan can work with
    pretty much any color shirt and tie and hose when properly put together, but it's a learning curve over here. You get to do a lot of overthinking until you realize how straightforward
    it actually is. A lady that is audience for my bluegrass jams went through a period of telling me, "That doesn't go with that. Or that.". Having been raised with the same eye training,
    I understood her concerns and took no offense. I would just explain how and why this goes with this and allows that into the mix to pull it all together. The physics of it appeals to
    the lighting tech part of me, and wearing kilts has helped me understand better what I knew about light and color. Stuff I used on stage but didn't think to apply to clothing.

Reading that sounds odd, but with time and wearing, it becomes simple, and you will gain appreciation for Jock Scot's insight and patience with the rest of us.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 1st June 21 at 01:01 PM.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

JPS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    So, now the decision is made, you need a project for while you wait. Save time and order an Isle of Skye now. You know as soon as you put one on and see how comfortable it is
    you're gonna want more. The rabble will confirm that; it's habit forming. Holyrood is a great choice; so is IoS. Both will fit with a broad range of colors comfortable to US eyes.
    With time and use it becomes clear how Scots feel comfortable with color combinations you might not see here; that is, it really is true that pretty much any tartan can work with
    pretty much any color shirt and tie and hose when properly put together, but it's a learning curve over here. You get to do a lot of overthinking until you realize how straightforward
    it actually is. A lady that is audience for my bluegrass jams went through a period of telling me, "That doesn't go with that. Or that.". Having been raised with the same eye training,
    I understood her concerns and took no offense. I would just explain how and why this goes with this and allows that into the mix to pull it all together. The physics of it appeals to
    the lighting tech part of me, and wearing kilts has helped me understand better what I knew about light and color. Stuff I used on stage but didn't think to apply to clothing.

Reading that sounds odd, but with time and wearing, it becomes simple, and you will gain appreciation for Jock Scot's insight and patience with the rest of us.
    Oh, you're a bad influence. I do still really want that IoS, but I think it's going to an easier sell once I have the Holyrood on. The semi-trad was a bit more than we originally planned to spend, so there's still a bit of a hangover.

As for a project, I still have the sporran to find, so I'm bargain hunting for a simple, brown, maybe slightly beaten-up day sporran. That should keep me busy for a little while longer, at least.

I think I know what you mean about the mixing of colors. Holyrood has a pretty broad pallette to play with. I got claret hose and ancient blue garters to start out. A little safe on the garters, and a little bold on the hose, I think.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123