X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewey View Post
    P.S. What year of Model T ?
    1923 Touring. Only very minor alterations from stock, like the aluminum pistons a previous owner put on it (truthfully, probably better for the engine anyway), the water pump that looks to have been added about 60 years ago, that kind of thing. I do my best to drive the wheels off of it in the summer. It's not particularly fond of parades - not enough airflow to keep the engine cool, even with the water pump. It's really happiest at about 25-35MPH and will happily go all day at that speed. I figure it's old enough that anything that could wear out has already worn out and been replaced at least once, and anything that breaks I'd have to fix - I'm okay with that, have fixed a fair number of problems with it already, and would rather keep it alive by driving it than to have it rot away in static display. You get a lot of people smiling and waving at you. And it's doing the job it was built to do.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for being one from the 'other end of the opinion table' re headwear!

To even the score, (or to prove my diplomacy) here's a bare-headed pic from our oldest daughter's wedding 4 years ago - walking her up the outdoor aisle!

P.S. What year of Model T ?

Attachment 40084
    Bare headed would be the most common choice here too, if the weather obliges.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    1923 Touring. Only very minor alterations from stock... You get a lot of people smiling and waving at you. And it's doing the job it was built to do.
    I'm a signwriter, and I've pinstriped several Model-Ts, but most have been 1910-13.
    (Here we call it lining, rather than pinstriping, but pinstriping is more well-known as a word I guess. Here's a 1910 one I did 21 years ag0 just before a 1990 national Veteran rally in Australia)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAModelTford1910.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	40085
    Last edited by Stewey; 16th May 21 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Stewey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from another newby .. Currently in Central Texas USA, but have lived on both coasts and may places in between ... Also thanks for your comments on caps, and boot/shoes ... a dilemma for sure, but from what Ive seen here in Texas, a good pair of boots compliments the casual attire, and a nice pair f dress shoes works for the more formal event .. Oh beautiful horses too !!
    Mark in Central Texas
    American Born, but discovering my Celtic Roots

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sartorial elegance as far as civilian kilt attire is concerned takes second place to one's wellbeing, a stout pair of boots is perfectly acceptable when required. Large horse hooves drumming away close to one's feet would be a perfect example of this necessity. Likewise, protection from the sun or severe weather of any sort also allows for common sense to prevail. However, in my humble opinion, every effort should be used to keep within sartorial parameters if one can.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th May 21 at 02:46 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understood, totally, thanks!
    (especially within the parameters of your 'rules' tagline! )

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Stewey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a signwriter, and I've pinstriped several Model-Ts, but most have been 1910-13.
    (Here we call it lining, rather than pinstriping, but pinstriping is more well-known as a word I guess. Here's a 1910 one I did 21 years ag0 just before a 1990 national Veteran rally in Australia)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAModelTford1910.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	40085
    Very cool. That had to be fun. Mine is still just plain "any color". Pretty basic. But it's a driver, not really a show car.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello from another Queenslander.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Queenslander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A belated warm Scottish welcome from central England. My wife and I visited Australia a few years ago and I'd love to go back to see more. Queensland was not on our itinerary then, hopefully, if there is a next time, with my daughter who spent a year out there.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    My wife and I visited Australia a few years ago and I'd love to go back to see more. ...
    Thank you - and ditto - my wife and I visited UK in 2013, and would like to return, for family tree research etc... but who knows if or when 'normality' will return... a scary thought.

Take care!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast