X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wedding Recommendation

Hi all. This post isn't about my wedding as that happened many years ago, but my best friend's, for whom I'll be the best man. He's planning a fall wedding with Highland dress and we're working together to make some decisions about what to do in terms of details for the ceremony. He is planning to include a fly plaid, which seems to be a sensitive topic here, but it also seems that a wedding is one of the few places where that particular accessory is appropriate.

Based on my reading my question is what outfit would be most appropriate. While people wear a fly plaid with Prince Charlie I gather it isn't really traditional to do so, with the fly plaid being more suited to a Montrose Doublet or a Sherriffmuir. We're both buying new garb for the event so we can really go whichever way we want. If it's Doublet or Sherriffmuir do either or both of those work as black tie versus white tie (bow tie rather than lace jabot)? There's so much information out there it's a bit hard to keep up.

On a related note, with an outdoor fall wedding in Tennessee the temperatures for the event may be 40 degrees F or 80 or anywhere in between. What are the options for a warm outer layer with formal Highland dress? It obviously wouldn't be worn during the ceremony, but if we end up in a cold spell I'd rather not freeze all day before and after. Good Inverness capes are incredibly expensive; would a traditionally styled cloak be appropriate?

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to TNScotsman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, congrats to your best friend's wedding!

Quote Originally Posted by TNScotsman View Post
    On a related note, with an outdoor fall wedding in Tennessee the temperatures for the event may be 40 degrees F or 80 or anywhere in between. What are the options for a warm outer layer with formal Highland dress? It obviously wouldn't be worn during the ceremony, but if we end up in a cold spell I'd rather not freeze all day before and after. Good Inverness capes are incredibly expensive; would a traditionally styled cloak be appropriate?
    I can't help much with the questions about fly plaids, but perhaps I can offer some thoughts about this section.

I should think that even at 40°, a jacket + waistcoat should be warm enough as long as you're moving around. A Montrose of Kenmore Doublet should be even warmer, as they're not open-front. A sweater is easy to throw on under your Argyll jacket, but I'm not sure this would work with a P.C. Perhaps one might wear a merino wool base layer under your shirt?

For country wear, many folks are a fan of Barbour jackets with highlandwear, but I don't think they qualify as formalwear.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two questions that need answering before anything else is addressed. What time of day is the wedding? Is the event to be formal or not? Semi formal does not exist in this case. Once those two questions are answered everything else should fall into place.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 13th May 21 at 09:55 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Highly unlikely you will need a cape - or anything else as outerwear (barring rain) - esp. if you are also planning on wearing a plaid.

My own wedding was a few years ago in Estonia, in February (our coldest month) with temperatures down to about -4f. On the day it was about 10f I just wore a kilt and jacket. We had some photos taken out on the ice, as the sea freezes at this time of year.

That said, I do have a vintage Crombie overcoat I picked up on eBay for £20 about 15 years ago, specifically as outerwear for a family wedding in Prague.This was also in February and expected to be about -4f. In the end it was quite mild, about 20f and I didn't really need the overcoat - but I think it's a good alternative to a cape.

Ignore the cane - it wasn't an affection, I had broken my leg about 6 weeks earlier and had an aircast splint on (hidden by the hose) so I could fly out for the wedding.

I have also worn a sheepskin jacket as outerwear with my kilt - but not for a wedding (regardless as to the level of formality).
    Last edited by Tomo; 13th May 21 at 01:53 PM.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Two questions that need answering before anything else is addressed. What time of day is the wedding? Is the event to be formal or not? Semi formal does not exist in this case. Once those two questions are answered everything else should fall into place.
    Thanks Jock. I don't know that the time has been set yet. It will be a formal wedding, with black tie equivalent for the gentlemen in the ceremony and the bride will be in a long dress, although won't be wearing white.
    Last edited by TNScotsman; 13th May 21 at 06:52 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignore the cane - it wasn't an affection, I had broken my leg about 6 weeks earlier and had an aircast splint on (hidden by the hose) so I could fly out for the wedding.
    My condolences on your injury but a gentleman should never need to apologize for carrying a well crafted cane!

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to TNScotsman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jock. I don't know that the time has been set yet. It will be a formal wedding, with black tie equivalent for the gentlemen in the ceremony and the bride will be in a long dress, although won't be wearing white.
    Hummm how do I say this tactfully? Assuming(?) the ceremony is in the day time then a black bow tie would not be worn in traditional circles ——-one would not want to be mistaken for a waiter————-although the hire companies unfortunately suggest that people do so. I also have a feeling that there are distinct differences of attire expectations on your side of the Atlantic.

So for what it is worth , not much probably, the traditional Scottish( UK) civilian kilted wedding service takes place during the day and the celebrations might/could continue into the evening. If the attire is to be formal then a black barathea silver buttoned argyle(BBSBA) is worn with a drop down tie. If the celebrations continue into the evening then in normal circumstances( there are very very rare exceptions)then the attire worn in the day continues to be worn in the evening.

I cannot comment on trans-Atlantic wedding expectations seriously as I have never been to one and I also understand the ceremony can take place in the evening. However, I get the distinct feeling that Scottish attire traditions and Scottish wedding agendas will not happily evolve with your requirements. What I would caution though, there is a danger that your thinking is making the happy event into a costume show. Good luck.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th May 21 at 03:44 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly, congratulations to your friend on his upcoming wedding. I have an Inverness Cape and will say I never needed it when I spent time in North Carolina and doubt you would need one in Tennessee. So onto the outfits, I also have a Montrose Doublet, I've never worn it with a Fly Plaid and would caution against one as they are cumbersome and bring little to the outfit as a whole. With the Montrose as it is a closed neck with a dart for shaping you really do need a jabot with it to hide the dart. With the Sherffimuir Doublet as it is open there is more lee way wearing it with White or Black Tie. As Jock said changing during a ceremony is rarely if ever done, even on this side of the pond I don't think I've seen it often, sometimes the Bride and Groom will change for the reception, however that's about it.

Were it me, I would purchase the jacket you will get the most wear from after the wedding as well. This to my mind would not be a Doublet at all rather an Argyll jacket would be my choice. Now this will be a bit of a let down for you. Some years ago I purchased a Black Argyll with silver buttons for my nephew's wedding, I rarely wear it opting for a tweed almost always, in fact in the past 4 or so years I may have worn it once a year but probably not even that much, while my tweeds are constantly in and out of the closet, something to think about and of course your experience may differ.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the input Jock. Common practice in the US., which may or may not ultimately be a good idea, is that black tie is worn by participants regardless of the time of the ceremony. Attendees are almost always in coat and tie, again regardless of the time of day. I suspect this is ultimately more about pictures than tradition, but it's how it's done...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the input Jock. Common practice in the US., which may or may not ultimately be a good idea, is that black tie is worn by participants regardless of the time of the ceremony. Attendees are almost always in coat and tie, again regardless of the time of day. I suspect this is ultimately more about pictures than tradition, but it's how it's done...
    I appreciate what you say but in my mind if you are wearing the kilt, then the attire traditions/conventions go along with it. Yes, a few minor alterations might occur either on a whim or through ignorance. I am afraid to say and with the greatest of respect, what you are thinking of doing is driving a coach and horses through Scottish attire traditions.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th May 21 at 04:12 AM.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast