X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wicker Man

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rex.

I draw some comfort that even Peter our website tartan authority gets tested when trying to identify a tartan on occasion.

My Grandparents and my parents used to play "tartan eyespy" with us youngsters when they were trying to keep us quiet! I used to do the same with my children. It is a fun way to learn a few tartans and I still play a form of tartan "eyespy" with myself on occasion when hanging about waiting for Mrs Jock. Just doing brief count on my fingers I think I could recognise about 25 tartans fairly easily, but I do have to retreat to my "Scottish Clan and Family Encyclopedia" quite often. An ageing memory does not help one bit either. The last tartan to flummox me was the Moffat.

The common civilian tartans that I see here and in no particular order are, Cameron, MacDonald of several sorts, MacLeod of several sorts, Macpherson, Campbell of several sorts, Kennedy, Davison, Maclean(the green one) so no real surprises there, but interestingly I rarely see Clan Chattan. I also would have little idea or interest in who designed most of them or when.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 18th May 21 at 04:33 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have close family links to Thompson, Stewart and Gordon as well. Life is frankly too short to learn all of them

Regards, EEM
    "Humanity is an aspiration, not a fact of everyday life."

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Micrographia For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    The common civilian tartans that I see here and in no particular order are, Cameron, MacDonald of several sorts, MacLeod of several sorts, Macpherson, Campbell of several sorts, Kennedy, Davison, Maclean(the green one) so no real surprises there, but interestingly I rarely see Clan Chattan. I also would have little idea or interest in who designed most of them or when.
    Clan Chattan is often referred to as 'the dog's breakfast' -- most people don't want to wear THAT . I agree with you on your last point; it's a good thing we have Peter and a few others around.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Clan Chattan is often referred to as 'the dog's breakfast' -- most people don't want to wear THAT . I agree with you on your last point; it's a good thing we have Peter and a few others around.

Whereas, I do have idea and an interest in who designed most of them and when.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Whereas, I do have idea and an interest in who designed most of them and when.
    Of course. We as a rabble may not collectively always agree with everything written on this website, but, I think its safe to say that we here would all agree with you on that!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AbernethyCameron View Post
    It is Morrison Red Modern, widely available, you can see it here https://www.lochcarron.co.uk/morriso...xoC2DQQAvD_BwE
    I think you nailed it. I was considering a Lord Summerisle cosplay at a convention, but wanted to get right. Of course I'll never look as dignified as Sir Christopher Lee.
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12