X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Scotland one just wears the kilt, then experience and/or a judicious question might follow to what the occasion might be. For example if it is a wedding invitation then "is it formal? Or smart?" and then dress accordingly. Sometimes these days in Scotland for weddings I am advised not to wear the kilt as it does not fit with the arrangements. Its no big deal either way.

On the rare occasion that I wear the kilt outwith Scotland, usually to a wedding I am specifically asked if I might wear the kilt-----I would not even consider wearing the kilt unless asked----- and again the question from me is " is the event formal or smart" and depending on the answer, I then dress accordingly. I cannot recall ever being asked to wear the full kilt, nor would I.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 2nd June 21 at 02:31 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original owner of the Prince Charlie I now own was once asked by a lady, "Are you going to wear your kilt suit?". I think it might have been another way of saying "full kilt".
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Macman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    "Are you going to wear your kilt suit?"
    To me "kilt suit" conjures up this sort of thing

But I'll take "kilt suit" which is logical, a suit which has a kilt as part of it, over "full kilt" which like "full trouser" refers only to a single garment, and leaves out the rest of the outfit.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said earlier, in Scotland it is assumed if you wish to wear the kilt then we do, usually. In my youth, invitations sometimes used to have, 'Tartan to be worn" written by hand at the bottom of the invitation as a guide, not as an instruction though. It meant the kilt and appropriate attire , not, a tartan neck tie or some such! I have not seen that recently though.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 4th June 21 at 09:36 AM. Reason: added a clarification.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread came to mind again last week—my wife and I were packing for a trip and I wanted to bring my guitar, but decided that there wasn’t room for it. My wife said “Well no wonder, you’re bringing your whole kilt!” Meaning, in this case, kilt, sporran, vest, doublet, brogues, etc etc.

There was the same idea again expressed slightly differently. I brought my whole kilt as opposed to half of it, or two thirds, or whatever other fraction might be possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    To me "kilt suit" conjures up this sort of thing

But I'll take "kilt suit" which is logical, a suit which has a kilt as part of it, over "full kilt" which like "full trouser" refers only to a single garment, and leaves out the rest of the outfit.
    I first saw this set of photos several years ago but never understood what was happening with the “under flaps” protruding beyond the tails of the jackets. Are the tailored kilts meant to have some odd abbreviated upper plaid…?

The overall effect looks like a man’s kilt with a child’s plaid stitched on top.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardtheLarge View Post
    I first saw this set of photos several years ago but never understood what was happening with the “under flaps” protruding beyond the tails of the jackets. Are the tailored kilts meant to have some odd abbreviated upper plaid…?

The overall effect looks like a man’s kilt with a child’s plaid stitched on top.
    Utility kilts, or, at least, detachable pockets in lieu of a sporran.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Utility kilts, or, at least, detachable pockets in lieu of a sporran.
    I see. Can’t say that I’m a fan…the sporran holds these sorts of outfits together, to my mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'full kilt' is new to me...

But I have heard 'full fig' and 'full rigoot' being used to mean being 'properly togged-up'.

This has brought back a memory of kilt-wearing at a 'do' in England - my nephew and I, both kilted, were approached by one of the natives, and asked if what we were wearing was a 'real' kilt. Has anyone seen an artificial kilt..?

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12