X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Close enough...?

In the process of acquiring all the fun odds and ends for my first kilted events this year I of course had to find a good sgian dubh for daywear and another appropriate for the PC. My first attempt, ordered from a supplier in England, yielded a really terrible and unusable knife that was returned. I then ran across the Sanity Jewelry company who also makes really beautiful damascus knives. The two I bought are their Bonnie and Clyde model, one in stag and the other in buffalo horn. While not a pure sgian dubh I think they'll present well and serve the purpose (realizing the true purists may object). Thoughts?

resized.jpg

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, why would you say "not a real Sgain Dubh"?
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Just curious, why would you say "not a real Sgain Dubh"?
    Thanks for the question Steve. While I think they're very close, these are double-edged and my understanding (which may be inaccurate) is that the Sgian Dubh was traditionally single-edged. That said, I do think they are very much in the spirit of the original, which was my goal in finding accessories that pay proper respect to the kilt outfit as a whole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think they’re great! Sgian dubh’s ( what form we think of) is a fairly recent invention I believe. Be proud!
    May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Oberu For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNScotsman View Post
    Thanks for the question Steve. While I think they're very close, these are double-edged and my understanding (which may be inaccurate) is that the Sgian Dubh was traditionally single-edged. That said, I do think they are very much in the spirit of the original, which was my goal in finding accessories that pay proper respect to the kilt outfit as a whole.
    The thing is - There is Tartan and there is a kilt. There really is no proper or right or correct outfit. Fashions change and the accessories have changed with fashion trends.
    So unless you are in the military or a pipe band where they have written out rules on how to wear a kilt, and what to wear with it, you cannot be wrong.

The Sgian is one of those Victorian things. Guys would dress with swords and braces of pistols trying to emulate the vision of a wild highlander that was in the novels of the time. The Sgian is perhaps the last of that Victorian excess.
    It is just a small knife worn stuck in the top of kilt hose. But there is no rule. You can wear one or not. It can be almost any type or style of knife that catches your fancy.
    Heck, it does not have to be a knife.

I will sometimes wear this when I travel by air. (No metal) It is a Sgain Shoe.

And a Sgian Brew is quite popular too.

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post: