X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom Tartan Kilt Pin

Okay, it's not exactly a pin, but it does the same thing. I'm still rocking the DNKE I bought a while back. This past weekend in the 95 degree weather I finally broke out the kilt for the summer. I live out of town and it tends to get windy in the afternoons and evenings. With my front apron blowing up and all around, something Rocky&Eric talked about was magnetic kilt pins. They won't damage the material if they get snagged and a magnet could be attached to anything. I'm a machinist apprentice at work and I own a mini manual mill so I can make a wide range of things from raw metal. I thought my black utilikilt could use a little color and I thought a Elliott Modern pin would be a fun project.

IMG_7307.jpg

IMG_7310.JPG

IMG_7309.JPG

IMG_7308.JPG

IMG_7306.JPG

IMG_7311.JPG

I will follow up with the finished product, painted and glued to together.

See in the last picture, I rep my tartan everywhere I drive with my pickup. Not that I many people would understand. But it's fun, and it makes her a little more mine.
    Last edited by MrScott; 4th June 21 at 07:00 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MrScott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of a magnetic kilt pin and am interested to see where this goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished!

Got it done. I used my machinists software to trace and scale the warp and weft. Then drew myself a blueprint to get the spacing and depth just right. I counter bored into the back side of it to epoxy glue a pair of neodymium magnets in. That way they sit flush with the backside. They hold well, it hasn't shifted or fallen off while I've had it on. It's aluminum so it's light enough that I don't feel it tugging at me, but just heavy enough to keep my apron down in the wind. I like Elliott Modern so I painted it in with bold colors and clear coated it. It gives my black DNKE just a lil color.

IMG_7349.JPG

IMG_7350.JPG

IMG_7352.JPG

I noticed the clear coat wrinkled slightly. Too bad

I learned that I need to take pictures sideways from now on for the forum.

I've got a buddy who has McGregor in him. I may attempt to make one for him. Although McGregor has a bit more going on than Elliott and I'm not sure I can fit it all onto a 1.5x1.5 inch block.
    Last edited by MrScott; 8th June 21 at 06:41 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to MrScott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    clever and creative work- well done!
    P.S. clear coats will wrinkle if put on too heavily before the previous coat was thoroughly cured. As they dry, they shrink a little and the coat underneath 'slips', being not totally dry.
    Last edited by Stewey; 30th June 21 at 04:32 PM.