X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    Stillwater do this sort of thing:
    I've seen those, and while I respect the thinking behind them, they are a bit too militaristic for my tastes. I would not carry a 'tactical' bag or wear cargo trousers in my non-kilted life, I'm not of a mind to go for that look whilst kilted either.

But, to the target audience, it's a thoughtful bit of kit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    In my eyes, a kilt without a sporran too much resembles a skirt.
    I would agree with this. There are certain aspects of a kilt that I don't think you can remove without losing some of the context. Goes from "yep, that's definitely a kilt" to "hmm...not sure what he's doing there".

I have one of those SWK sporrans for my utility kilt. It does work rather well, and honestly I think it looks more like a fanny pack (bumbag, I think, in UK terminology) than it looks militaristic in practice.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
    So here's the thing. I don't really like sporrans. Kind of in the same way I don't really like cufflinks, but I will wear them in the proper context. However, like cufflinks, in everyday life, we have better solutions to the problem they are solving.

If I am wearing a kilt formally, or I'm going for a casual but traditional look, I will happily put one on, but if I'm simply replacing trousers for a kilt in my daily life, I'd prefer not to have one.

So, you maybe thinking utiliikt style cargo pockets are the answer, but I don't really like those either. Not a fan of cargo pockets on my trousers, much less on a kilt.

BUT... I do need to carry my wallet, phone and keys, and now that summer is here, I will not have a jacket with pockets to use. So I need something, and what I think I need is the right kind of sporran.

Why don't I like sporrans? Atheistically, and without question this is just how I feel about things for me, and am in no way questions any one else's sartorial choices, I feel that most of them are too close to looking like a costume rather than a solution to a problem. Functionally, I don't like that they are stiff, difficult to get in and out of quickly, and don't expand sufficiently to larger or oddly shaped items.

There are obvious solutions to some of my concerns. Sporrans that are basically soft leather pouches are readily available, however they look awfully ren-fair to me.

So what I'm looking for is a leather pouch, roughly sporran shaped, that is stiff in the back so it keeps it shape, but soft leather on the sides and front, with side 'bellows' to expand to accommodate awkwardly shaped items. In my dream world, those bellows would stay close via magnets or elastic when empty to keep the shape attractive. Also, I would love for the closure on top to use strong magnets to make it easy to access while remaining secure.

So.

Anyone ever seen anything like this? Or know of sporran maker who would work with me without requiring a second mortgage to pay for it?
    I share some of your feelings about sporrans. Here's a Margaret Morrison day sporran (model Sporting SPT6, mine is in brown) I've found to be pretty nice. It doesn't quite check off all of your boxes, but ...
    https://morrison-sporrans.co.uk/prod...sporting-spt6/

It's large enough for whatever I need.

The leather is supple, so it can hold some odd shapes. It's still "modern sporran-shaped" rather than Rob Roy-ish. The back is also flexible, but holds its shape.

The snap (hidden behind a faux-buckle) is actually magnetized so it homes in on itself.

I'm having some difficulty uploading my pictures, but will try again later. (Maybe need to reduce file size?)
    When in doubt, end with a jig. - Robin McCauley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchstone View Post
    I share some of your feelings about sporrans. Here's a Margaret Morrison day sporran (model Sporting SPT6, mine is in brown) I've found to be pretty nice. It doesn't quite check off all of your boxes, but ...
    https://morrison-sporrans.co.uk/prod...sporting-spt6/

It's large enough for whatever I need.

The leather is supple, so it can hold some odd shapes. It's still "modern sporran-shaped" rather than Rob Roy-ish. The back is also flexible, but holds its shape.

The snap (hidden behind a faux-buckle) is actually magnetized so it homes in on itself.

I'm having some difficulty uploading my pictures, but will try again later. (Maybe need to reduce file size?)
    Trying again with the photos

Front

mm front closed lo res.jpg

Front, snap

mm snap lo res.jpg

Rear

mm rear lo res.jpg

Interior

mm interior lo res.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchstone View Post
    Well that is, without question, the closest to my dream that I have ever seen. I especially like that you can add a brightly coloured interior to make it easier to find stuff.

And the price is more than reasonable. I think I'm about to order one.

If I had any complaint, ideally it would be without the faux buckle and just keep it minimalist, but I can live with that.

I'm not giving up on my waxed canvas dream, but this will do very, very nicely. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that is, without question, the closest to my dream that I have ever seen. I especially like that you can add a brightly coloured interior to make it easier to find stuff.

If I had any complaint, ideally it would be without the faux buckle and just keep it minimalist, but I can live with that.

I'm not giving up on my waxed canvas dream, but this will do very, very nicely. Thanks!

Very glad it helped. First time I've ever actually been useful on this forum, I think

The other nice thing about Morrison is how quickly they assemble and ship. Even from the UK to the US, it's never taken more than about 1 week.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Touchstone For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don’t fancy the buckle, message MM and ask of they will omit it; I’ve found them very accommodating of special requests.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nemuragh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemuragh View Post
    If you don’t fancy the buckle, message MM and ask of they will omit it; I’ve found them very accommodating of special requests.
    Great pro-tip. I will do. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've sent off an overly complicated request to see if they would consider accommodating my madness.

Will keep you posted.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Paco500 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Och, crivens....

Don't be a tease...

Is the Artificer still doing any business these days? Perchance via a backchannel?

Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    What you need is a MoD cantle sporran like this.

Here's tae us, Whas like us... Deil the Yin!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast