X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Controversal musing on sporrans- and looking for advice.

So here's the thing. I don't really like sporrans. Kind of in the same way I don't really like cufflinks, but I will wear them in the proper context. However, like cufflinks, in everyday life, we have better solutions to the problem they are solving.

If I am wearing a kilt formally, or I'm going for a casual but traditional look, I will happily put one on, but if I'm simply replacing trousers for a kilt in my daily life, I'd prefer not to have one.

So, you maybe thinking utiliikt style cargo pockets are the answer, but I don't really like those either. Not a fan of cargo pockets on my trousers, much less on a kilt.

BUT... I do need to carry my wallet, phone and keys, and now that summer is here, I will not have a jacket with pockets to use. So I need something, and what I think I need is the right kind of sporran.

Why don't I like sporrans? Atheistically, and without question this is just how I feel about things for me, and am in no way questions any one else's sartorial choices, I feel that most of them are too close to looking like a costume rather than a solution to a problem. Functionally, I don't like that they are stiff, difficult to get in and out of quickly, and don't expand sufficiently to larger or oddly shaped items.

There are obvious solutions to some of my concerns. Sporrans that are basically soft leather pouches are readily available, however they look awfully ren-fair to me.

So what I'm looking for is a leather pouch, roughly sporran shaped, that is stiff in the back so it keeps it shape, but soft leather on the sides and front, with side 'bellows' to expand to accommodate awkwardly shaped items. In my dream world, those bellows would stay close via magnets or elastic when empty to keep the shape attractive. Also, I would love for the closure on top to use strong magnets to make it easy to access while remaining secure.

So.

Anyone ever seen anything like this? Or know of sporran maker who would work with me without requiring a second mortgage to pay for it?

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Paco500 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had a problem with a nice plain (not flashy) hard-backed sporran, but I agree that the Rob Roy style sporrans look very trying-too-hard in an everyday context. This sounds like a really interesting idea and I'd like to see where you go with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my eyes, a kilt without a sporran too much resembles a skirt.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you need is a MoD cantle sporran like this.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Steve Ashton's Carry-All Sporran would have suited you. Sadly it wasn't taken up by any sporran makers.

See Post # 7 here: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...sporran-96696/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    In my eyes, a kilt without a sporran too much resembles a skirt.
    I can understand how one might feel that way, and I sympathise with the view, however, I imagine most people would look at a man in a knee length, heavy weight, pleated garment with leather straps and wide belt and recognise it as a kilt.

However, putting that to one side, I suppose I don't really care if people mistake it for a skirt. I have a number of 'man-skirts' that I wear that are not kilts- basically sarongs and dhotis. I did not start wearing kilts or other non-typical clothings because I have a particular concern for traditions or the judgement of others.

In fact, my first 'kilt' was actually a women's kilted skirt that I had taken up to proper length when I was a teen-ager back in the 80's. It was part of a trying-too-hard punk aesthetic rather than a celebration of Scottish tradition. I kept on with kilts because I enjoyed wearing them even though I outgrew my punk years (the fashion anyway, still enjoy much of the music).

I turned 50 this year, and frankly, I've learned to wear what I want to please myself. I'm perfectly happy with others to do the same, without judgement.
    Last edited by Paco500; 10th June 21 at 12:33 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Paco500 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    What you need is a MoD cantle sporran like this.
    It is lovely, but a bit over the top for everyday wear for me. I to agree that the canticle clasp can be easier to access that a snap clasp, and I have a rabbit fur 'formal' sporran of a similar design, but I'm defiantly looking for something more subtle and utilitarian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    I think Steve Ashton's Carry-All Sporran would have suited you. Sadly it wasn't taken up by any sporran makers.

See Post # 7 here: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...sporran-96696/
    That may be the pinnacle of traditional sporran design- what a shame that they are seemingly not available. However even those would not address the subtle expandability and effortless access I desire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganKyle View Post
    I've never had a problem with a nice plain (not flashy) hard-backed sporran, but I agree that the Rob Roy style sporrans look very trying-too-hard in an everyday context. This sounds like a really interesting idea and I'd like to see where you go with it.
    I've had a new thought. Maybe I don't want leather construction, but waxed canvas. The pliability of the material would allow for greater expansion, the overall weight would be lower making it more comfortable to wear, and in the right colour, it would make a feint towards a traditional sporran while clearly being something else. The lighter material would also make my dream of magnetic bellows and closure easier to execute.

It would need to have something lightweight but semi-rigid in the back and top flap at least to give it shape. This could work.

Now I only need to find someone to make it. Or learn to sew.

So, find someone to make it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stillwater do this sort of thing:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast