X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone with Elliott tartan want to let me see?

I'm itching to place an order to USA Kilts for my first tartan kilt. I'm an Elliott, so it's gotta be Elliott. Swatches are weeks out as you know and I'd rather not wait for them to arrive. They carry Elliott in 13oz and I've decided on the 5 yarder.

I've got my eye on:

Elliott Modern by House of Edgar
    Elliott Modern by Lochcarron
    Elliott Modern by STR (I don't know what the full name of the mill is)

Online, I like the look of Elliott Modern by HOE. I understand that the modern tartans use a vibrant color pallet (bottle green, crimson red...), but it appears online brilliant. Of course a display will not accurately portray real life colors of cloth. But I'm wondering how bright is it really? I'd like to see some pictures if anyone has one in Elliott Modern. Once again camera/display still won't be absolute, but with some background to the picture I can get a good idea of what I'm buying.

I'm by no means the peacock in the room, my usual wear is black Carharrt jeans so it will be a huge break in the routine. I see some pictures of Elliott Modern online that appear more muted than HOE. Other pictures make it appear brilliant. I want some grasp of what I'll have on before I spend $300 on it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Elliott, Modern by (on the ) STR (Database) is a computer graphic that represents the generic design and not a particular colourway or manufacturer's material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps you could order swatches?
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend getting swatches. I thought the STR abbreviation might be Strathmore, but I could be wrong. I just ordered 3 swatches from USA Kilts. I think it is best to have a sample before commiting to avoid any regrets, and in your case if you're dead set on Elliot, you could see and feel each and know which one you want exactly. I'm kind of screwed in my case because I am deciding from 3 tartans... lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also recommend ordering some swatches. For my clan tent I put together a number of swatches to show fellow Elliots the difference in color, set, and weight of tartans made by various vendors. Computer graphics, and even photos, aren't even close to showing the right color so you'll be far happier if you wait for the swatches so you can see what you're going to get.
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Sir William For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got over my impatience and ordered swatches. I need to know what I'm getting. Just hope modern is what I like.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MrScott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to work in a kilt shop where we had big swatch-books from Edgar, Lochcarron, and Strathmore.

It's surprising not only how the sett-size and colours vary in, say, MacDonald Modern from mill to mill, but how they vary from 13 ounce to 16 ounce with the same mill.

Add to that Ancient colours, Lochcarron's Weathered colours, and Edgar's lovely unique Muted colours.

So with a single tartan you might have over a dozen different looks, and that's just with those three mills!

A quick Google found this beautiful Elliott tartan tweed, though it might not be suitable for kiltmaking

https://www.elliottsshed.com/elliott-plaid

Computer-generated images of tartans are worthless. Actual swatches are best, though good photos of the actual cloth can give a good idea. I think the best photos are ones of the cloth made up into a kilt.

For example this photo gives a near-perfect representation of the look of this cloth:

Last edited by OC Richard; 18th June 21 at 05:48 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte