X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah...good catch. Fat fingers on a little phone screen....not a good combination.

I'd love to find some time to meet up chat. I'm new to kilting so I have many questions.

Back to the kilt in question, extenders could solve the issue temporarily, but the symmetry of the apron is all off. Plus the sett that should be centered is noticeably uncentered. I think the only fix would be to pull the apron apart and maybe lose 1 pleat....but I'd like to talk ai over in person with someone. I got to believe that there is someone with the skills oin those 4 states to alter it correctly.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't find someone locally I highly recommend Barb Tewksbury, who has her own kiltmaker's thread on the forum. I have two Tewksbury kilts which are wonderful and she was a real pleasure to work with. I think with photos and some discussion she could understand and advise. And if anyone can make the kilt fit, she can do it.
    Craig Jones
    ---
    It’s a lang road that’s no goat a turnin

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdmurray4 View Post
    Ah...good catch. Fat fingers on a little phone screen....not a good combination.

I'd love to find some time to meet up chat. I'm new to kilting so I have many questions.

Back to the kilt in question, extenders could solve the issue temporarily, but the symmetry of the apron is all off. Plus the sett that should be centered is noticeably uncentered. I think the only fix would be to pull the apron apart and maybe lose 1 pleat....but I'd like to talk ai over in person with someone. I got to believe that there is someone with the skills oin those 4 states to alter it correctly.
    Atlanta does have one kilt store up in Suwanee: Atlantakilts.com
    They don't make the kilts there, I believe most of their kilts are imported Pakistan acrylics, but they do some tailoring. They took in a kilt for me once, in fact. I've had good and bad experiences so hesitate to recommend them flat out, but they are fairly local and could probably advise you from a repair/alteration perspective that fellow kilt wearers won't have.

And we do seem to have a lot of new Atlanta area members! Maybe it's time to schedule a kilt night somewhere?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    USA Kilts in Pennsylvania may be able to offer you assistance. They have been around a long time and I'm certain they would have no problem recommending a place, if they know of one nearby, that may assist you. They do wonderful work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My kilt got et by moths this past Spring and USA Kilts was the first place I contacted about repair. Unfortunately they informed me that they will only attempt repairs on kilts of their own making...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If You want to try the kilt on, perhaps extenders could be a temporary solution? At least until a good tailor/kiltmaker is found...
    This link as a idea: https://www.amazon.com/kilt-extender...xtender+straps

Not that it's the place to buy. But at least a possibility...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauge View Post
    If You want to try the kilt on, perhaps extenders could be a temporary solution? At least until a good tailor/kiltmaker is found...
    This link as a idea: https://www.amazon.com/kilt-extender...xtender+straps

Not that it's the place to buy. But at least a possibility...
    Or you could get them from a XMTS advertiser and all around awesome company:

https://www.usakilts.com/accessories...on-straps.html

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12