X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Demise of an icon

I only made my first post yesterday, and I have been pleasantly surprised by the response - thanks for all the kind words of welcome..!

Now here's a thing. I happened to have business yesterday in Inverness, which was my first time in the city for almost two years - think of Covid-19 and lockdown for reasons why...

I was shocked to see that the iconic Hector Russell has died from Covid - or so it seems. Coming under the Edinburgh Woollen Mills' umbrella, a company that a few month's ago announced that it was failing and so forcing the closure of shops around the UK, the loss of (up to 14,000 jobs as reported by one source) it was inevitable that the Highland outfitting division might be expected to feel the pain, too.

But Hector Russell had been virtually the only division of the group that seemed to be profitable, according to the redeployed staff I spoke to. It should not be forgotten that Hector Russell had taken of the Royal-Warrant bearing Romanes and Patterson many years ago, and had long been a land-mark retailer on Princes Street, Edinburgh.

It now seems the whole kilt-making and Highland dress element of the EWM business is gone for good, and it is clear to see the asset-strippers have been hard at work - the mood of the staff and their willingness to let it be known ought to be a concern for the management!

So it seems that yet another of the greats in Highland outfitters is no more. What sad times we now live in... But if tartan tat, shortbread and Nessie soft-toys are your thing, you're in luck, as that seems to have filled Hector Russell's place.

But it is not all doom and gloom. Ben Wyvis Kilts have moved from their former site to a double fronted outlet in the centre of town, and a smart shop it is, too. If I were still in the process of getting kitted out, they could well be my first port of call. So note that name...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough for the staff as I am told that jobs are not easily found locally. I trust that Chisholm's(kilt makers) in Castle Street are still going? I have not ventured to that side of the County for a while.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like Chisholm's are still in operation, but were closed for business yesterday afternoon. It seems they have reduced their opening hours due to lack of custom - a la the Covid effect.

And that is the same story to be heard throughout the town. I looked into one shop that at this time of the year is normally thronged with overseas visitors seeking out woollens, cashmirs and the like, but I got the feeling I was the only potential customer they had seen all day. I am almost ashamed to say I bought nothing either.

The problem with 'staycation' visitors from other parts of the UK, is that they are not in the market for the goods that overseas visitors normally buy in abundance. Both England and Wales have their own woollens traditons well catered for, and those nationals appear impervious to the appeal of tartan. Inverness urgently needs to see the return of holiday-makers from North America and the Far East, but what are the chances of that happening any time soon..?

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is sad news, Hector Russell was a mainstay of the industry, these are dark days indeed with kilt making on the endangered list and venerable shops closing.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If ever there was a stark reminder to local businesses and locals in general in this part of the world in particular and no doubt other places around the world in general that rely on tourism that like them or not, visitors are an essential part of the local economy and need nurturing, rather than the often offhand reception that they too often receive. The alternative reality, as all too many are finding out to their cost, is really much less attractive.

Let us hope that an improved reality from visitors and locals alike will prevail when conditions improve enough for the world to get back to some sort of normality.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 16th June 21 at 04:48 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure the tourist industry everywhere has been hit hard in the pocketbook this past year. It is a shame that long-standing establishments have to shutter their operations.

Perhaps some enterprising individuals can devise some way to specialize with smaller-group tours and smaller vehicles instead of the tourist coaches, or at least more tour guides at each stop with smaller groups. Utilize more open-air locations (gardens, parks with a scenic view, etc.) and walking tours.

That may be the way to go until people reach a comfort level with germ-controlling precautions.
    John

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    I'm sure the tourist industry everywhere has been hit hard in the pocketbook this past year. It is a shame that long-standing establishments have to shutter their operations.

Perhaps some enterprising individuals can devise some way to specialize with smaller-group tours and smaller vehicles instead of the tourist coaches, or at least more tour guides at each stop with smaller groups. Utilize more open-air locations (gardens, parks with a scenic view, etc.) and walking tours.

That may be the way to go until people reach a comfort level with germ-controlling precautions.
    Great stuff!! Positive thinking and sensible suggestions are the only way to go. Well done laddie!

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rather suspect the Covid effect will be the death-blow to more than costly to run retail empires such as EWM and its subisduaries. The Highland outfitting industry has been withering on the vine for some time.

The highly-respected Rhoda Fraser kilt-maker in Dingwall (as featured on TV, and kilt-maker to the like of Gerard Depardieu) closed her town-centre shop a couple of years ago, and started opperating from home.

As a sole-operator, that sort of commercial rationalisation makes good sense, and allows the business to continue. But poor old Hector Russell has no such option...

I understand the business name is 'available' and could be acquired by some enterprising individual with a sense of tradition. Who is brave enough to take on a challenge like that at a time like this...?

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jock.

I was thinking about ways to get people doing tourist-y things without creating huge crowds. A side benefit could be that less-frequently visited places (places hard to get the big coaches and/or big groups into) might get more visitors. Another side benefit could be more employment, either by tour guide firms or individuals/partnerships.

Another thought would be some venues hiring guides to become experts (with in-depth knowledge on the history, architecture, etc.) on their particular location and/or offering more small-group or self-guided tours.

Back to the theme of the OP - several years ago before the boom in bourbon sales, several of the bourbon distilleries here in Kentucky diversified into distillery tours, gift shops, etc. in an effort to avoid shutting down. Now the Kentucky Distillers Association offers a package deal of tours of several of the major distilleries and discounted merchandise (or special deals for the higher-end bottlings). They utilize passenger vehicles smaller than a full-sized coach (shuttle transports and the like) to take people around the region spread across north central Kentucky (I'm guessing 250+ square miles). Otherwise, people could easily get lost trying to find some of the distilleries. I know I would, and I was born here! (Though to be honest, I don't often drive more than 20-30 miles from home.)
    John

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to EagleJCS For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleJCS View Post
    This is exactly what my wife and I do as a secondary occupation - we mainly focus on small group hiking trips. Unfortunately, I have spent the afternoon canceling the first of our upcoming tours to Mull and Skye - for the second year running- the second tour is in the balance (pending the next update on travel restrictions next week).

Hopefully we can pull something out of the bag later in the year (August / September) - and I am keeping my fingers crossed that our autumn distillery tour will still go ahead as planned.

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast