X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st kilting in years

As some of you may have seen on my re-introduction post, for various reasons, mostly weight related, I spent many years in the un-kilted waste land. Early last month, we took a short break to Edinburgh, and I pulled the trigger an went and got measured for a kilt. Unfortunately, when it finally arrived, there were issues. Not sure if it was in the measuring or the making, but it was far, far too big. They apologised profusely and it is now back with them being remade.

But I had caught the bug, and couldn't wait for the 'real deal'* to show up, and I ordered a hybrid-traditional from a Pakistani based seller off Etsy. Quality is exactly as you would expect for a £45 pound semi-custom made kilt (I ordered slightly shorter and without cargo pockets). But they were friendly and quick on delivery.

So here it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2398.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	40227

Apologies for my unenthusiastic expression. Can't account for that I'm afraid.

*When I say 'real deal', it is not really a traditional kilt as I ordered it in tweed rather than tartan. I still desire to get a real-real deal, hands stitched, heavyweight kilt some day, but I'm easing back into things, and I really can't decide on a tartan.

-M

2. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Paco500 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, my joy increases.

The kilt I had made for me is now back (again) and properly fits!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	40232

It's clearly not tartan (I know, heresy). It's hard to see, but it's a green 100% wool tweed (woven in Yorkshire- not Scotland. 2nd heresy), 5 yard 'casual' kilt- meaning it sits lower on my waist and comes with a removable pocket for my phone. I'm not 100% sure, but I imagine it will be more removed than not.

I really, really love it.

I imagine I will generally wear it as an alternative to chinos. Now all we need to do is get out of lockdown so I have somewhere to wear it.

Now I just need to find a trustworthy tailor to alter a tweed jacket and waistcoat I have to kilt length and I will be set.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Paco500 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! And not heresy at all. Tweed kilts were very popular in Victorian times, and happily they have been making a comeback recently.

A surprisingly large number of 19th century photos show tweed kilts, sometimes part of what appears to be a full matching suit (kilt, waistcoat, jacket)

and sometimes the tweed kilt not matching the tweed of the jacket and waistcoat

My latest kilt is tweed, woven by Marton Mills. They do a few tartans in tweed including Hunting Stewart.

Last edited by OC Richard; 18th June 21 at 06:00 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Very nice! And not heresy at all. Tweed kilts were very popular in Victorian times, and happily they have been making a comeback recently.
    Thanks! Much appreciated.

A surprisingly large number of 19th century photos show tweed kilts, sometimes part of what appears to be a full matching suit (kilt, waistcoat, jacket)
    I actually ordered enough extra cloth to perhaps have a waistcoat and jacket made someday, once I settle on a style I want.

My latest kilt is tweed, woven by Marton Mills.
    Well how about that? My kilt is made from tweed form Marton Mills as well!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with a tweed kilt, looks wonderful glad you were able to get back to kilt wearing.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
    My kilt is made from tweed form Marton Mills as well!
    I love their tweed fabric. They do quite a variety including some tartans:

https://martonmills.com/product-cate...d-collections/

"Coast" seems to be Cameron of Erracht.

"Autumn" seems to be Buchanan.

"Seaside" might be Portree??

There's Black Watch, Black Watch Weathered, Hollyrood, Hunting Stewart Weathered, and Royal Stewart Weathered.

I had a tough time choosing between the Stewarts.

If I were to have a jacket & waistcoat made it would be from "Mulitcheck" which is gorgeous.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte