X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dcommini View Post
    I only have single color hose at the moment, I was thinking of wearing lovat blue. My other choices would be charcoal, oat, or black.

The sporran I'd wear is a simple black leather and chrome, I have a black faux rabbit fur one for dressier occasions but that one wasn't even in my thoughts.
    Probably all appropriate enough. The darker jacket would likely be good and the simpler sporran.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Probably all appropriate enough. The darker jacket would likely be good and the simpler sporran.
    Alrighty, that's what I'll do then. Thank you for your input!
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any other Sunday and I would
    Purely out of interest, why is this particular Sunday different? Because the Boss is coming? Because it’s a special Christian day? Because you feel like a change of attire? Am I missing something?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 17th June 21 at 01:40 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Purely out of interest, why is this particular Sunday different? Because the Boss is coming? Because it’s a special Christian day? Because you feel like a change of attire? Am I missing something?
    “The Boss” is one part of the description. It’s subtle. All of us who are priests, technically operate only as substitutes in our churches, during the Bishop’s absence from that church. It is ceremonially improper for a priest, for example, to ‘welcome’ a Bishop, since it is the Bishop’s church. We only express pleasure that the Bishop is able to be in attendance.

There are certain functions limited only to the Bishop - ordinations, blessings of oils and so on. The congregations tend to therefore come out to hear what is said - “from the horse’s mouth” if I may be crude. In the presence of that greater attendance, greater pomp and ceremony are also of interest to many, and as such many in the congregation will turn out to enjoy seeing those functions which are the Bishop’s prerogative, and in the process it does become, in some ways, a social event as well. It becomes much more than a supervisory walk-through.

Subtle differences, but I hope that helps to describe it.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 17th June 21 at 05:00 AM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along with what Father Bill said, this Sunday is also one of the major feasts celebrated by the Church, and I typically go kilted for those days.
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." -Socrates

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    “The Boss” is one part of the description. It’s subtle. All of us who are priests, technically operate only as substitutes in our churches, during the Bishop’s absence from that church. It is ceremonially improper for a priest, for example, to ‘welcome’ a Bishop, since it is the Bishop’s church. We only express pleasure that the Bishop is able to be in attendance.

There are certain functions limited only to the Bishop - ordinations, blessings of oils and so on. The congregations tend to therefore come out to hear what is said - “from the horse’s mouth” if I may be crude. In the presence of that greater attendance, greater pomp and ceremony are also of interest to many, and as such many in the congregation will turn out to enjoy seeing those functions which are the Bishop’s prerogative, and in the process it does become, in some ways, a social event as well. It becomes much more than a supervisory walk-through.

Subtle differences, but I hope that helps to describe it.
    I had rather thought it was something along those lines Bill. Rather like the Commandant General of the Royal Marines popping along and inspecting the men and equipment.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along with what Father Bill said, this Sunday is also one of the major feasts celebrated by the Church, and I typically go kilted for those days.
    I quite understand that the Bishop is turning up and the fact that it is also a major Church feast, but why the kilt? Apparently you wear a suit on other Sundays. I am not criticising, but I am wondering.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pentecost is celebrated as “Birthday of the Christian Church”. In the Western churches that follow the Gregorian calendar, it was back in late May. The Eastern tradition follows the Julian calendar and therefore Pentecost is this Sunday. June 20th is also the Summer Solstice for any of you pagans out there.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quite understand that the Bishop is turning up and the fact that it is also a major Church feast, but why the kilt? Apparently you wear a suit on other Sundays. I am not criticising, but I am wondering.
    I started wearing a kilt for Christmas and Easter, and then the other major feasts. I guess it just evolved. I could wear a suit, and I do most Sundays, but I don't feel like it.
    OblSB, PhD, KOSG

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to dcommini For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy feast of Pentecost! Did you take a picture of the attire you selected?
    Trying to avoid “looking like a refugee from a pantomime.” (hat tip Jock Scot)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast