X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Hose Color?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hose Color?

I am new to the kilt world and a question just came to mind. I have noticed that most people seem to color match their hose to their kilt. Is it necessary to do that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhonea View Post
    I am new to the kilt world and a question just came to mind. I have noticed that most people seem to color match their hose to their kilt. Is it necessary to do that?
    Absolutely not!

The idea of 'matching' is an American concept. In Scotland and most of Canada, the kilt stands alone. Your kilt is your 'nametag' and as such, it need match nothing.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 20th June 21 at 08:38 AM.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't try to match any colour with any other colour . My tartan(MacLeod of Harris) for example, has five colours: black, red, yellow, blue and green so it is quite difficult to find a colour of hose/tie/shirt/bonnet that does not match those of the kilt and if it does, then its by accident rather than design. Dont fuss about it is my advice.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't even try to match.

I use the principles of color coordination. Just as I would with trousers.
    And I look at the entire outfit as a whole, not just the kilt.
    If you look at the entire outfit the kilt can stand alone.

So I may color coordinate hose to jacket. Or go so far as to coordinate color of flashes to tie or pocket square.

The idea is to choose colors that work well with each other.

There is no brown in this kilt but the outfit works.

Formal attire is usually subdued. Perhaps with a "splash" of color.

The same is true of professional or business attire.

I will choose colors and accessories according to the event or the activity (a cold, rainy day) and will avoid a all cost to look like I stepped out of some rental outfit's website.

v.s.

Or worse yet, looking like I am auditioning for a part in a movie.

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhonea View Post
    I have noticed that most people seem to color match their hose to their kilt. Is it necessary to do that?
    For sure tartan hose which match the tartan of the kilt have been around since at least the early 19th century.

About plain hose, in Victorian times plain hose are seen in a very limited range of colours: grey, taupe, and brown. Sometimes the brown has a reddish hue.

Plain tweed kilt outfits (matching kilt/jacket/waistcoat in grey, taupe, or brown tweed) were very popular in Victorian times so yes these outfits would generally be seen with somewhat matching hose, due to the fact that the tweed colours were the same colours plain hose were seen in.

But with tartan kilts no, they would be worn with grey, taupe, or brown hose too.

When we get into the 1930s tweed jackets and plain hose are usually seen in fawn, Lovat green, and Lovat blue (though brown and grey were still to be seen).

Writers from the period suggest that the jacket and hose should match.

I think the thing of matching hose to a tartan kilt is quite recent, and flies in the face of 200 years of tradition.

Time for pretty pictures!

Early 18th century, full tartan suit, hose a contrasting tartan or dice.

Mid-18th century, three different tartans (but similar colours) jacket/waistcoat/kilt but hose contrast.

mid-19th century outfits with a variety of hose. Note the plain taupe/brown jacket and more or less matching hose, which colour doesn't appear in the kilt's tartan

1960, note the civilians (to left and right of the soldier) are following the admonitions of the writers in matching jacket to hose.

Hose nowadays are available in a wider range of colours than ever before.

This allows us to do things like this: claret hose with a tartan that has no claret

and blue hose with at tartan that has no blue

Last edited by OC Richard; 20th June 21 at 10:07 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I think the thing of matching hose to a tartan kilt is quite recent, and flies in the face of 200 years of tradition.

Early 18th century, full tartan suit, hose a contrasting tartan or dice.
    The majority of pre-1745 portraits show tartan hose, a smaller number show dice, but by the time of the '45 Red and White dice seems to have been the hose cloth of choice. Although the earliest known portrait showing this is civilian, that of Dr. Sir Stuart Threipland, Prince Charles' physician, the majority of contemporary evidence shows military wearers. I believe that it was probably a military style that quickly became popular for civilian use too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my favourite pair of hose:

20210503_102556~2.jpg

Shane

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post: