X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    As OC Richard has observed, the outfit is a pretty good representation of the period but I doubt anyone played snooker, or billiards, wearing a plaid.
    He actually does not play, rather he is musing about his uncertain future with Lord Grantham, rolling the ball around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As OC Richard has observed, the outfit is a pretty good representation of the period but I doubt anyone played snooker, or billiards, wearing a plaid.
    I wonder if, to be historically correct, it would have/ should have been a “half plaid”, such as Matt Newsome described, in his article
    http://kiltmaker.blogspot.com/2008/0...ats-plaid.html
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhockin View Post
    I wonder if, to be historically correct, it would have/ should have been a “half plaid”, such as Matt Newsome described, in his article...
    Yes the long plaid wrapped around the body, as Hugh is wearing, was a popular Victorian thing which would have looked antiquated in 1921. But he's old enough to have worn that style in the 1880s when it was still current, and oftentimes men stick to the styles of their youth.

For sure to be current in 1921 he would have worn what was called at the time a "belted plaid", that is, a plaid fringed all around, with a fringed tab that goes through the epaulette, and as the name implies a self-belt that goes round the waist. (Not sure if that's what the article means by "half plaid" which is a term new to me; the belted plaid isn't a halved anything, but a unique garment in its own right.)

Unfortunately people nowadays use terms for the various styles of plaid which are vague and misleading.

When the philabeg fully replaced the philamore in the army around 1800 belted plaids were introduced for Full Dress. These were new complex tailored garments which when worn with the philabeg gave a fair imitation of the old philamore.

There were two patterns, one for officers which was fringed all round, and one for Other Ranks which was not. Both of these patterns are still used in the military.

Officers when wearing riding breeches or trews wore the long plaid wrapped around the body. This same officers long plaid was later adopted by the pipers of the Cameron Highlanders in the 1840s and quickly spread to the pipers of other Highland battalions.

Both of the officers' patterns (long, and belted) were widely worn in Victorian civilian Highland Dress, the long plaid going out of style by around 1900 leaving only the officers' pattern belted plaid, which is still worn in civilian Highland Dress today.

That's the traditional picture. To which can be added the newly created Kilt Hire plaid of the late 20th century, simply a square of fabric hanging down the back, beltless.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 2nd July 21 at 05:58 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just started this show on Netflix. My better half has watched it before, but first time for me. Can't wait until they go to Scotland. Also can't wait for the Easter Rising, and some of the other historical events I hear they cover.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethSime View Post
    We just started this show on Netflix. My better half has watched it before, but first time for me. Can't wait until they go to Scotland. Also can't wait for the Easter Rising, and some of the other historical events I hear they cover.
    I haven't watched Downton but if you want a good drama about the Easter Rising and the wider historical background, the Rebellion on Netflix is very good.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't watched Downton but if you want a good drama about the Easter Rising and the wider historical background, the Rebellion on Netflix is very good.
    I started watching it the other night.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I started watching it the other night.
    Noted! Will definitely look into it. I quite enjoyed The Wind That Shakes The Barley.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12