X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy Canada Day

As the title states, Happy Canada Day.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

2. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    As the title states, Happy Canada Day.

Frank
    Whilst I totally agree with the sentiments, I doubt that the poor people of the Canadian town of Lytton are too happy with their lot at this moment in time. My thoughts go out to all in South West Canada in these trying times.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Whilst I totally agree with the sentiments, I doubt that the poor people of the Canadian town of Lytton are too happy with their lot at this moment in time. My thoughts go out to all in South West Canada in these trying times.
    Whilst what you said is true, if one stayed on topic, a new post could have been created. As misfortune and celebration can be mutually exclusive. Otherwise, any celebratory event could descend into, "but what about the so-and-so". And from there no hope was found to be the last thing in the box. Tall poppy cutting is not a virtue.

Frank
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the sentiment Frank, this Canada Day is unlike any I've experienced it has been rather more reflective and sombre, though there were fireworks late into the night in my neighbourhood, we did not take them in. This is all because recently there have several unmarked graves found on the grounds of residential schools. Late last month, 215 Indigenous children's remains were found at Kamloops Indian Residential School in BC, while as many as 751 unmarked graves were discovered at Marieval Indian Residential School in Saskatchewan last week. The search continues who knows how many unmarked graves will be found when all is said and done.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is legitimately a year of mourning. That is the sort of thing that sets Canada apart and makes it a special country to celebrate. This year we are witnessing these terrible crimes that were done in the name of our country but I urge you not to self-flagellate forever. Next year, we should celebrate the mountain of good stuff that is Canada.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, please do not get me wrong, I love Canada and I proud to be a Canadian. My Dad and Grandfather left Scotland in 1953, my Grandfather asked my Dad where he wanted to go Canada or Australia? Nothing against Australia but I'm glad he chose Canada. Even this year I think we have much to celebrate, though with the pandemic and the residential schools it's harder to find things to be happy about. I do think that we will weather the storm so to speak and hopefully be a better nation for it on the other end of this tragedy.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I agree, please do not get me wrong, I love Canada and I proud to be a Canadian. My Dad and Grandfather left Scotland in 1953, my Grandfather asked my Dad where he wanted to go Canada or Australia? Nothing against Australia but I'm glad he chose Canada. Even this year I think we have much to celebrate, though with the pandemic and the residential schools it's harder to find things to be happy about. I do think that we will weather the storm so to speak and hopefully be a better nation for it on the other end of this tragedy.
    Australia has the identical demons to deal with, herself. So do the United States and probably New Zealand, as well. I have faith that the Commonwealth countries will do the "right" things, eventually.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Ninehostages For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    Australia has the identical demons to deal with, herself. So do the United States and probably New Zealand, as well. I have faith that the Commonwealth countries will do the "right" things, eventually.
    Again I agree completely. As an aside, there is something special about living in a Commonwealth Country, that is the big reason my Grandfather had the two destinations in mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Thank you for the sentiment Frank, this Canada Day is unlike any I've experienced it has been rather more reflective and sombre, though there were fireworks late into the night in my neighbourhood, we did not take them in. This is all because recently there have several unmarked graves found on the grounds of residential schools. Late last month, 215 Indigenous children's remains were found at Kamloops Indian Residential School in BC, while as many as 751 unmarked graves were discovered at Marieval Indian Residential School in Saskatchewan last week. The search continues who knows how many unmarked graves will be found when all is said and done.
    Thanks for the comments Glenn. I avoided this for the fact that there is alot of politics wrapped up in this. From a civic virtue, point of view, I wanted to do nothing more than wish a happy Canada Day.

Frank
    Murdoch Maclean

14. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    Thanks for the comments Glenn. I avoided this for the fact that there is alot of politics wrapped up in this. From a civic virtue, point of view, I wanted to do nothing more than wish a happy Canada Day.

Frank
    I appreciate the sentiment, but I wanted to bring some context to this years Canada Day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast