X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clans

This was posted on another topic, but I thought it would make a neat forum. How many of you still value the clan system? I mean, I wear my clan's tartans (I am a sept of clan MacDougal, MacDonald, Gunn, Ross, and Munro, so I can wear quite a number of tartans) proudly, because of the rich history of them all. My clan is Maculloch, spelled McCullough nowadays. My only kilt (as of yet) is in MacDonald of the Isles, a lovely huntig tartan with green, blue, red, and white (pic in my gallery.)
    Think of what the clan system has left us with-
    Some major advantages I can think of:
    -Easy way to trace your family geneology and Heritage

-Nice way to start conversations, especially with those who are in your clan or are a sept of your clan.

-It's very cool to meet someone with the same last name or similar or sept last name of you, and know that it is very well possible he or she is sharing the same heriatge and blood as you.

Just some things to ponder.
    If you are scottish, take pride in it, take pride in the great clan system. (If you are english, I am truly sorry )
    See ya!
    -Jonathan Maculloch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the clan system is really interesting. Being a complete history geek, I love reading up more about my clan history (MacGregor).

Unfortunately, the tartan of my kilt isn't MacGregor, mainly because getting one in MacGregor would have been way out of my price range. I was able to get a MacDougal (sp?) kilt for a very good price, and it still looks relatively similar to MacGregor, although when I'm older and when I have more money, I'd like to buy a MacGregor kilt.

My last name (Moules) is Irish, I believe, but my great grandfather's last name was King, which goes back to MacGregor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clans

I certainly do, and I'd feel uncomfortable wearing a tartan, to which I did not have a direct entitlement by Clan. Just as I'd never wear a regimental tartan to which I had no entitlement by service.

The only non clan kilt I own is a District-Loch Lomond: when I needed a more dressy kilt-for I usually wear the muted hunting tartan.

Having said that, I do accept that views have changed in recent years-and whilst I have certain views, I'd not seek to impose them on anyone else.

James

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Clans

Yeah, I feel the same way. I would feel uncomfortable *(I'd feel physically comfortable )* wearing any tartan I was not entitled too. I may get a Black watch, though, even though I never served, but that's because one of my clan's I'm associated with (I think clan MacDougal or ross) has no hunting tartan, and that is what they have used for their hunting tartan. But, I don't think, unless I was buying it cheap, I'd get a blackwatch, simply because it is SUCH a generically worn tartan these days, up there with royal stewart.
    -Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You kilt purists must be pretty pissed off at me wearing a tartan that isn't my clans!

but maybe if I trace back far enough, There's a tiny bit of MacDougal in me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Soul
    You kilt purists must be pretty pissed off at me wearing a tartan that isn't my clans!

but maybe if I trace back far enough, There's a tiny bit of MacDougal in me...
    No, not at all. I don't care if anyone wears my tartan(s) ( I just wish they would ear a "generic tartan," such as the pride of scotland, all irelad, etc.) But, it dosen't bother me at at all. What we are saying is that WE don't feel comfortable wearing a tartan that isn't ours.
    EITHER WAY, KILTS ARE BETTER THEN WEARING PANTS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think many years ago, tartans were segregated by clan, but instead just what dyes were availiable in the region. I've heard that the clan tartan concept is relatively new, but do correct me if I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the exception of James, have you noticed that this thread is pretty much carried on by two members that have come aboard within this past week? Awesome!

I agree that the clan system was a good way of entitlement of which tartan to wear, but also the region in which the weave was found also played a part. I agree that I could not wear a tartan that I was not entitled too, but do not let that discourage you from wearing what tartan you want. Of course with tartans like the Scotitsh National and the various district tartans, you really have a whole lot of options

Now being primarily Irish I do have a county tartan, Co Fermanagh, (eat your heart out David ), that is another way to go.

Various countries have their own tartans and do not exclude states or provinces (many fine looking Canadian tartans out there).

Jimmy or Todd may be able to shed more light on this discussion, and may even set us all straight, so hang tight and let the wise ones speak!
    Glen McGuire

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've got some Ulster blood in me, maybe I should look into getting an Ulster tartan kilt as well. I guess I'll just add it to the list, lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up until recently I stuck to 'entitled', Gunn, Campbell, Clergy but I started branching to Stewart (Hunting and Black) and recently MacPherson. I don't have a direct link to MacPherson but the kilt was great looking. I probably will not vary off too much from these but you never know what will catch my eye.

Richard-

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast