X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does this design exist in tartan form?

An online retailer (Torrid) has been selling these amazing tops…. And while I imagine it’s most likely just a “fashion plaid” (or is it an actual tartan)? It occurred to me….. Jeez, I’d absolutely love love LOVE to have a kilt and perhaps some other goods made from it…

Can someone tell me whether such a tartan exists in the registry? Or one that is similar to it? And while we are on the topic, how can you tell if something is an actual tartan?

I’m not sure how coherent my question is coming across. I’ve had a long day at work. Lol.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EC7CB409-7974-401D-A95C-BAA4BB1EF52A.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	40354

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is close to what a bright, vivid Anderson would look like.

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a modern 'fashion tartan, what in Scotland is called a Bumbee Tartan i.e., a pattern that is tartan but not 'a proper or traditional' tartan.

It quite possibly has a trade name in order for the manufacturer to identify it but, like the majority of such designs. it is not on the Register but it would be considered if the owner wanted to apply.

How does one tell if something is a tartan? It depends on one's definition of a tartan. Technically, any pattern that meets the STA's definition is a tartan, which is not the same as saying that a pattern is a traditional or Scottish tartan. If you mean an official or designated tartan, that's a bit of a moving target and means different things to different people.

Tartan (the design) is a pattern that comprises two or more different solid-coloured stripes that can be of similar but are usually of differing proportions that repeat in a defined sequence. The sequence of the warp colours (long-ways threads) is repeated in same order and size in the weft (cross-ways threads). The majority of such patterns (or setts) are symmetrical i.e. the pattern repeats in the same colour order and proportions in every direction from the two pivot points. In the less common asymmetric patterns, the colour sequence repeats in blocks as opposed to around alternating pivots but the size and colour sequence of warp and weft remain the same.

Where a warp stripe crosses a weft stripe of the same colour a block of solid colour results, whereas where it crosses one of another colour the result is an equal mixture of the two which is known as a ‘half-tone’. Traditonally, tartans are usually woven in a 2/2 staggered twill which is what gives the material its familiar hatched appearance, particularly obvious in the half-tone areas.

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post: