X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: sang in concert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sang in concert

Unfortunately I had been sitting and the apron got caught up under the belt. It was the first time I've worn it as it is new and this was really the first event worth wearing it. The song is new and I heard it first on youtube
    as the lockdown started. I fell in love with it and found a piano/voice rendition to learn. https://youtu.be/mIgDtMTJWsE

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it and several hearings of it. Was hoping for more info on channel homepage - like the Grizz duets. Could you give us more on the piece?
    Composer? Where you got your arrangement?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it and several hearings of it. Was hoping for more info on channel homepage - like the Grizz duets. Could you give us more on the piece?
    Composer? Where you got your arrangement?

Thanks.
    The composer is Keen Thompson. I heard it first of youtube with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Bryn Terfel as the soloist. (There is also an incredible beautiful piece in that concert called the Dying Soldier which will be my next piece to learn and sing)
    The rendition with Motab was arranged by Mack Wilberg. The piece was written by Marta Keen Thompson. This arrangement was done by Jay Althouse. I got it from Sheet Music Now. http://sheetmusicnow.com.
    Sorry I didn't do much explanation on Youtube. I was basically putting it up for family I should go back and fill in the info for it and the other two pieces.
    I didn't tape grizz singing along. I do have this one called Die Beiden Grenadier by Schumann. Grizz only really likes where Schumann uses the La Marseillaise that occurs at 2:45 on the tape. https://youtu.be/S7UMmce09G8 Grizz also prefers the chorus on Homeward Bound.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Really enjoyed the channel as I have sung with pets, and the channel is clearly family. Underneath all this is I started in children's choir at five, and choral singing
    has been a great piece of and peace in my life. This work is new to me, and I was immediately drawn to know more. A thank you seems too small.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    Thanks. Really enjoyed the channel as I have sung with pets, and the channel is clearly family. Underneath all this is I started in children's choir at five, and choral singing
    has been a great piece of and peace in my life. This work is new to me, and I was immediately drawn to know more. A thank you seems too small.
    music never needs a thank you. It gives to all. I didn't start until much later. I was loud but also tone deaf so not a good combo but got some help in college

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grizz: Thanks for sharing. That is an amazing piece. A choir I belonged to years ago sang it (with soloist). It truly sent chills up your spine.

Just out of curiosity, what was the venue? It's a fairly spectacular looking sanctuary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plaid preacher View Post
    Grizz: Thanks for sharing. That is an amazing piece. A choir I belonged to years ago sang it (with soloist). It truly sent chills up your spine.

Just out of curiosity, what was the venue? It's a fairly spectacular looking sanctuary.
    It's Pilgram Christian Church in Pomona Ca. It was originally scheduled to be in a performance space at the same church but due to a scheduling snafu they moved it to the sanctuary. It is an spectuary

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzbass View Post
    I was loud but also tone deaf so not a good combo but got some help in college
    Same here. If they could put me next to someone who knew how to stay on key, they were safe. Mostly. In the 70s the music director for a play I was in taught me I could memorize
    the key and melody and be OK. In the 80s I learned to do that with arias I liked with/without music. Late 80s started hanging out with bluegrass guys (they're patient if you're having fun)
    and separately learned throat singing for healing. Hearing my overtones (partials) and and their intervals clearly gradually allowed finding harmony for others' voices. The bluegrass jams I help lead have solidified somewhat an ability for harmony. Only took about 65 years.

I'm starting to learn this piece in the same key you did it. I'm enjoying the piece (which I had never heard), and it's good to find a piece I like to work my low range.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 15th July 21 at 07:16 PM.