X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information, is it this book?

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/launc...-birse-stewart
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that's the book...

Personally, I think the second editon is better - apart from the tweed samples, it is a completely different book, and I would be inclined to go for that. Also, the colour rendition is a bit better in the second edition. Reference details -

Scottish Estate Tweeds - Johnstons of Elgin 1995 - ISBN 0 9525239 0 5

Or you could get both copies, like me, and be on the look-out for the first edition from the 1960s.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the information and suggestions.

I have samples/swatches coming from USA Kilts and from Marton Mills which when they come will allow me to get everything sorted.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look forward to seeing the end result...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Yes, that's the book...

Personally, I think the second editon is better - apart from the tweed samples, it is a completely different book, and I would be inclined to go for that. Also, the colour rendition is a bit better in the second edition. Reference details -

Scottish Estate Tweeds - Johnstons of Elgin 1995 - ISBN 0 9525239 0 5

Or you could get both copies, like me, and be on the look-out for the first edition from the 1960s.
    I must confess that I did not know that there is a second edition. Thank you for the tip off.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are three editions...

The first is titled 'Our Scottish District Checks' by E. S. Harrison, a former chairman of Johnstons of Elgin, I believe, and was published in 1968.

The Second edition, not a reprint of the first, but a complete re-working and including the same photos of the actual tweeds, was published by Johnstons in 1995, and the third edition (again a re-working so as to be a totally different book) came out in 2018.

The first edition also has samples of the regimental tweeds - the sort of thing a Scots Guards officer might have his shooting suit made up in.

The second edition seems to command astonishingly high prices on the second hand market, but the third edition is readily available, and well worth having.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    There are three editions...

The first is titled 'Our Scottish District Checks' by E. S. Harrison, a former chairman of Johnstons of Elgin, I believe, and was published in 1968.

The Second edition, not a reprint of the first, but a complete re-working and including the same photos of the actual tweeds, was published by Johnstons in 1995, and the third edition (again a re-working so as to be a totally different book) came out in 2018.

The first edition also has samples of the regimental tweeds - the sort of thing a Scots Guards officer might have his shooting suit made up in.

The second edition seems to command astonishingly high prices on the second hand market, but the third edition is readily available, and well worth having.
    Ah right, thank you. I have the 1995 edition and will no doubt bump into the latest edition somewhere in due course. I might also bump into the early 1968 version too. There used to be a useful second hand bookshop in Fort William with leanings towards country pursuits, but sadly its gone now. But one never knows the minute when I might drop on one, now that I know what I am looking for.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 31st July 21 at 10:04 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The second-hand bookshop on the high street in Dingwall is also a good source.

The owner has a good eye for Scottish history/clan/Highland works, and his prices are good too...

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12