X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel very lucky that I had the opportunity to meet him once, just after moving to the UK in 2006. I genuinely can't remember what the event was, but somewhere in the south of England, there was some kind of highland/celtic event and a small group from the forum arranged to meet. Hamish was among them.

He was kind, funny, knowledgable, and a quintessential gentleman.

Photos were taken, and posted here, but the links are broken. I will go back through my archives to see if I can find them.

He made the world a better place.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Paco500 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The loss of a fabulous personality, but not of Hamish's enduring inspiration.

Rest in pleats, unmet friend.
    Ry'n ni yma o hyd, er gwaethaf pawb a phopeth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad indeed. He gave a great deal to the kilted community.
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rest well, Hamish. You will be missed.
    Garrai Eoin!! - Garryowen!

Chris
    "Trooper, look at the Master Parachutist's Badge on my chest. Do I look like a tanker to you?"

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to rdjmchris For This Useful Post:

dwg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So very sorry to hear this news. Logged on today to wish him a happy birthday {if memory serves me correctly)
    RIP Legend, may your memory live on in all the lives you touched.

Daft Wullie, ye do hae the brains o’ a beetle, an’ I’ll fight any scunner who says different!

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tony For This Useful Post:

dwg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamish

When I started wearing Utilikilts around the turn of the century, I did not know anyone else like me, until I met Hamish on a forum called Chris's Atrium and then we talked regularly on Tom's Cafe, which became Skirt Cafe. And then he moved onto X Marks the Scot and became a celebrity with his advice and knowledge on kilt wearing.

We met for the first time in about 2001 and from then on I would visit him in Storrington every few months, sometimes sleeping over in his lovely house. We would go to Brighton and the South Downs, wearing our favourite kilts, and eat out in cafes and restaurants. On one memorable occasion we went to London and met Steve Viligas, the founder of Utilikilts and had a great evening and dinner in a West End restaurant. Earlier in the day we visited the Victoria and Albert Museum to look at their "Skirted Man" exhibition.

For many years, until he fell ill and receded from social life, he was like a father figure to me, giving me advice on my army career, my divorce, and my subsequent re-marriage. We used to sit in his lounge in two big armchairs, and have a wee dram or six of whisky or brandy.

One topic that we talked about quite often was his friendship with Princess Diana. He was a manager at Floris, an exclusive perfumery in London, and she was a regular customer. On his wall in his house were framed invitations from Diana to Hamish, inviting him to various royal social events.

He did not have much respect for Charles, I won't comment any further.

He was also a performer and loved to be the centre of attention and would quite frequently appear on local radio shows to talk about kilt-wearing. He was exceptionally good at accents, whether Cockney or Irish, or Southern Texan, he sounded totally authentic, he was very talented.

Every year up until last year, I would receive in the post a birthday card, our birthdays were close together, mine is tomorrow, but sadly I won't receive a card from my good friend anymore.

I loved him like a father, but he knew that life is not eternal, and when he told me his cancer was terminal, he said he accepted the inevitable. He was a true gentleman, epitomosing all the dignity and values of a traditional British Gent of times gone by.

I will miss my good friend Hamish.

Bernie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard the sad news via Facebook today and thought I should pop in to express my sorrow.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to robthehiker For This Useful Post:

dwg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so sorry to hear. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam usail.

Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    To All,

It is with great sadness I must to tell you that my friend, Peter Hamish Bicknell, affectionately known as Ham, passed away peacefully at home on Friday 16th July 2021.

A dear friend and his nearest family were with him at the end. His medication ensured he was not in any pain at all.

I will pass on more information about memorial services as I receive it.

Here is something my daughter made for him a couple of months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIsFj8uRoPg

He will be greatly missed

Sincerely

Jamie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sad to see, wish the best to his family and friends, as well as those here who knew him.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    Proud Member of Clan Macpherson!
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad news, Hamish's sense of style was inspirational and i don't think I've seen a bad word written about him. A life well lived, rest easy.
    In Scotland, there is no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes. - Billy Connolly

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast