X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Very Sad News about Ham

To All,

It is with great sadness I must to tell you that my friend, Peter Hamish Bicknell, affectionately known as Ham, passed away peacefully at home on Friday 16th July 2021.

A dear friend and his nearest family were with him at the end. His medication ensured he was not in any pain at all.

I will pass on more information about memorial services as I receive it.

Here is something my daughter made for him a couple of months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIsFj8uRoPg

He will be greatly missed

Sincerely

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 18th July 21 at 08:23 AM.
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for informing us, Jamie. It was a privilege to have known and met Hamish, a Legend and a true gentleman.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamie,

Thank you for passing on this sad news. He will be greatly missed.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Condolences to his friends and family.
    John

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Jamie. Sad news, indeed. My deepest sympathy to family and dear friends.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so sorry to read this sad, but not unexpected news. Thank you for informing us.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sorry to hear this. He was an inspiration for my early years of wearing the kilt.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear this. He was such an important presence here.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who are new to X Marks, the "Ham" that Jamie is referring to was known to us here on X Marks as Hamish.

Hamish joined X Marks on the 1st of March 2004 so he is officially the 18th member of this community. X Marks will always have a section dedicated to "The Kilted Legend".

At the time X Marks had started Hamish had already retired from a career as a perfumer to the London firm J. Floris who hold the Royal Warrant. He was personal perfumer to Princess Diana.
    Hamish was a life long Highland dance enthusiast and occasional kilt wearer.

Upon retiring he burnt all his trousers and had worn only kilts since.

He came to prominence in the kilt world as the owner of the very first Utilikilt sold outside of the United States. Back in the days of the on-line message boards Hamish was active on the "Tom's Cafe" board and that is how he heard that X Marks had just been formed.

Hamish was one of the most prominent members of X Marks for many years. He was very fond of taking photos of himself in his growing collection of kilts. Many of the photos he took were in his back yard (What in the UK is called "the garden") He would often post photos which were composites showing 4 or 5 of himself superimposed on top of each other.
    Sadly most of his photos were lost forever due to a computer error.

Hamish began to strike a particular pose. This became known here on X Marks as "The Hamish".

If you currently wear one of the solid colored or Utility Style kilts it is Hamish you have to thank for introducing the world to this new style of kilt. He was interviewed by newspapers and magazines often. If you wear boots with your kilt it is Hamish to whom you owe gratitude.

If you wear a Tartan kilt without looking like you just stepped out of the pages of some kilt rental catalog it is due to the style and fashion sense of Hamish.

For those of us on this forum he was an inspiration. His photos showed us that a kilt could be worn every day with style, as a modern garment, not a costume from a forgotten era. Hamish led by example and through his sense of humor and kind words we learned. For many of us just beginning our kilt wearing journey in life it was Hamish who led the way.

Not only did Hamish invent "The Hamish" pose but gave us "The Pleat Shot".

Among his other achievements Hamish will forever be known as, not the first person to have a personal Tartan, but the first to have a Tartan personally named for him. The Hamish Bicknell Tartan. Designed by Rocky Roeger of USA Kilts, the kilt stitched by Barb Tewksbury.
    Hamish had accumulated what he called "The Kilt Kollection". Over 100 kilts from just about every kiltmaker in the world.

To those who knew him and were honored to have met him in person he was an inspiration. To me he was mentor and I was happy to call him friend.

To my friend, the quintessential Gentleman in the old world sense, I say thank you in the only way I feel that I can fully express. With "A Hamish" on the same steps in your garden, near the famous pleat shot sun dial.

]
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 20th July 21 at 02:30 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rest in peace Hamish!!
    Condolences to his family and friends
    David

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast