X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrautulations to those who have lost weight. Love some advice because I've started to use the buckle extenders and need to lose 30lbs.

There used to be a lovely lady in Belfast who could remake a kilt where moving the buckles was not sufficient, but sadly she passed away.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!!

About kilt alterations, and old friend (now sadly passed away) who was an excellent kiltmaker told me she would much rather build a new kilt than alter an existing one.

She was very good at doing alterations, but she regarded them more trouble than they were worth, because they could take as long as making a kilt from scratch, and she had to charge accordingly.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there...lost 100lbs...sold a bunch of too big kilts before I found my hand sewns could be altered by me kiltmaker...not cheap but much less than a new kilt. Just have to ask the kiltmakers.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the weight-loss!

I started my efforts before COVID, but kept it going throughout, and between cutting carbs and sugar, and getting on track with running and weightlifting (which COVID made easier, since there wasn't much else I could do), I dropped 60 pounds.

My first thought for you was exactly what Jhockin suggested:
    http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...oo-much-59745/

I am not a sewer by any means, but Barb's guide walked me through re-tailoring a few of my kilts. I have been reluctant to do too many, but I have re-sized a few, and while it isn't always the prettiest job, no one has ever noticed that besides me.

My second thought comes from the re-sizing I did - if you are going to go that route, I would suggest starting with a kilt that isn't your favorite. Again, I am far from a professional, and perhaps that's why, but I had a number of course-corrections along the way, but since I was working with a kilt that wasn't one of my favorites, I didn't get *too* upset. When I finally got to working on a kilt that I cared about, I did notice that I was much tenser. Anyway, just my $0.02.

Good luck!

Rob

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to WalesLax For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12