X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Grump is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Mount Brydges Ontario Canada.
    Piping Is Life!....The rest doesn't matter.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauge View Post
    Now where to start?

Just being a new member, and a noob kilt wearer, I'll try to give a brief intro.

As a small lad, i got to see a Edinburgh Tattoo, on the then only Danish TV channel.
    Immediately the pipes took a grip in me. And the entertainment wasn't bad either...

I got older, and away from the subject. But didn't forget.
    Being interested in history, i got thrilled by Gaelic medieval arts and crafts. as well as the Danish Viking era same.
    Also the history, about the interactions, around the North sea. - This also before Lindisfarne.
    I even got a summer "job", back in 88, as a part of a EU Youth exchange program.
    Here i got to see Dublin, Limerick, Ennis and (London-) Derry. - No i don't want to get in to the politics around Northern Ireland.

Well. The Years passed, as did jobs as: Electronic Tech., Photographer, IT tech., coo in a grocery-store, IT supporter, Handyman/IT admin on a social service centre for Youths, not able to live at home.
    All this aside having a family, with three `kids´. Being a Hifi nerd, building tube amps, playing on the air, as a Ham and taking love in the nature...
    Sometimes i wonder just how my dear Wife Tina manage me!

Well. A couple of Years ago, i had a accident, that made trews uncomfortable, for a period. This made me buy a cheap kilt via eBay. And i was hooked!
    I got in to family history, and found a excuse (for myself) to wear it in public. And bought a better quality PV kilt, to wear casual.
    This is where i am right now. Still in the daybreak, of this new way to have freedom, in being myself. - And give a darn, in what people think...

No i'm not Scottish. I do have a squeeze of anglo/saxon and Gaelic dna in me. Sorry Brit's for my forefathers running with a Las or two!
    But i have a Love towards the Gaelic culture, music and very vivid history, that make me wanna express via my dress-code...

Hope you'll find just a little sense in this...

Best regards From Denmark
    Tonni
    There is a fair bit of Danish in some of those Scots. There was a time during the Middle Ages when the boundaries were blurry and fluid along the North Sea.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ninehostages For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ninehostages. You're most definitely right there Sir. Around AD 900-1050 much of eastern England were under Danelagen. No need to tell where that phrase came from? Limerick, Ennis in the western part of Ireland, as well as Dublin, were under quite a influence, from Norse (danish) settlements as well. And Somerled, that drove the norse (Norwegian and Danish) dominance out of Western Scotland, was of part Norse decendece himself. This only to name a few interactions. There were so much more going on...
    And remember Scandinavia, was not as split up, back then, as is today. - Just like the Brittish isles didn't look like now, when come to borders.
    In many ways, it was a very dynamic/violent time. And it continued to be another six or seven hundred Years... Culodden as a tragical endstop, or was that with the Irish independence..? But we better let that later history be!

Sheers/Slainté/Skål!
    Last edited by Hauge; 25th July 21 at 02:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the highlands of southern Oregon, from the grandson of Hans August Hansen, born and raised in Denmark until emigrating to Canada in the 1920'a.
    ---------------------------------------
    One has no need for a snooze button, when one has a hungry cat.

Tartan Riders, Kilted Oregon

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ninehostages. You're most definitely right there Sir. Around AD 900-1050 much of eastern England were under Danelagen. No need to tell where that phrase came from? Limerick, Ennis in the western part of Ireland, as well as Dublin, were under quite a influence, from Norse (danish) settlements as well. And Somerled, that drove the norse (Norwegian and Danish) dominance out of Western Scotland, was of part Norse decendece himself. This only to name a few interactions. There were so much more going on...
    And remember Scandinavia, was not as split up, back then, as is today. - Just like the Brittish isles didn't look like now, when come to borders.
    In many ways, it was a very dynamic/violent time. And it continued to be another six or seven hundred Years... Culodden as a tragical endstop, or was that with the Irish independence..? But we better let that later history be!

Sheers/Slainté/Skål!
    My DNA map shows zero Scandinavian, Saxon, etc. by some miracle. My forebears were hiding out in places like the Strathclyde, Donegal, Gwynedd presumably trying to prevent further Norse expansion. Over a millennium and a half, they were gradually defeated, like the Elves of Middle Earth. They too got into ships and sailed to the Western Lands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    My DNA map shows zero Scandinavian, Saxon, etc. by some miracle. My forebears were hiding out in places like the Strathclyde, Donegal, Gwynedd presumably trying to prevent further Norse expansion. Over a millennium and a half, they were gradually defeated, like the Elves of Middle Earth. They too got into ships and sailed to the Western Lands.
    Them Ancestors must have been hiding quite well! Must admit, I'm impressed!
    My dna tell a story 'bout Norse, mostly of Danish/Norwegian from around AD 800, and onwards. But before that it seems it was central Europe and the British isles that donated my dna. But generally they were all over Northern Europe, Iceland and Greenland up till around AD 11-1200. Germanic/Norse Brittish (Scot/English) Anglo/Saxon, Gaelic, well You get the picture... And i also had some ancestors, whom siblings went to Canada and the US. The 1800's were hard on ol Europe...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Really a McQueen View Post

From the highlands of southern Oregon, from the grandson of Hans August Hansen, born and raised in Denmark until emigrating to Canada in the 1920'a.
    Hi to a part Dane! Sorry said Hans August Hansen ain't in my Tree. It could have been fun...

Best regards from Randers!
    Tonni

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from Colorado!
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Them Ancestors must have been hiding quite well! Must admit, I'm impressed!
    My dna tell a story 'bout Norse, mostly of Danish/Norwegian from around AD 800, and onwards. But before that it seems it was central Europe and the British isles that donated my dna. But generally they were all over Northern Europe, Iceland and Greenland up till around AD 11-1200. Germanic/Norse Brittish (Scot/English) Anglo/Saxon, Gaelic, well You get the picture... And i also had some ancestors, whom siblings went to Canada and the US. The 1800's were hard on ol Europe...
    They hid for a long, long time. I belong to DNA Haplogroups that match known Bell Beaker burials in Britain (from whence DNA has been retrieved) on both sides of my family. Ava up in Caithness is "cousin Ava" (my Mother's side) Technically, I am "aboriginal" to the British Isles. 4-5,000 plus years on both maternal and paternal lines. (Of course, that also means that they married within their own tribes for 4-5,000 years and that ain't necessarily good.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    They hid for a long, long time. I belong to DNA Haplogroups that match known Bell Beaker burials in Britain (from whence DNA has been retrieved) on both sides of my family. Ava up in Caithness is "cousin Ava" (my Mother's side) Technically, I am "aboriginal" to the British Isles. 4-5,000 plus years on both maternal and paternal lines. (Of course, that also means that they married within their own tribes for 4-5,000 years and that ain't necessarily good.)
    Indeed so. Just look at what happened to the Egyptian Pfaraoes, and the nobles around Europe. Many of them have severe healthproblems due to that.
    When my wife, and i, began digging down in our history, we found out that our families, partly, came from the same area. And that there were a chance, that we might be related. Thankfully that turned out not to be the case. But my mom's mothers family might had some mix, around three hundred years ago, with my Fathers family... I guess, if we get back long enough, we're one big happy family..? ;)

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hauge For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast