X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from Scotland.
    Well. A couple of Years ago, i had a accident, that made trews uncomfortable, for a period.
    Agreed. Kilts are easier to get into, especially after any accident or injury which limits mobility. I wore kilts to work every day for some weeks following a leg injury.
    Last edited by cessna152towser; 26th July 21 at 09:27 AM.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cessna152towser View Post
    from Scotland.
    Agreed. Kilts are easier to get into, especially after any accident or injury which limits mobility. I wore kilts to work every day for some weeks following a leg injury.
    Outsch! - Must have been a tough un...

I was in the bath, slipping on my way over the edge of the tub. A leg on each side... Had a couple of days, without trews. And a couple of months where i only used trews when at job, or shopping. - This till i got a kilt. Then it was mostly at work, i needed to use trews. Dresscode.

Now i dream 'bout finding a 32 to 33" wool, at a good price. But i guess it'll take well over half a Year, as my wife is home due to stress...
    Yeah 33" as i'm a wee person, weighting in at 67 kg and 172 cm high. Some 147 Lbs and 5 Feet 7½ Inches.

Really hope You're o'er Your injury Sir!

Best regards
    Tonni

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hauge For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauge View Post
    Hi to a part Dane! Sorry said Hans August Hansen ain't in my Tree. It could have been fun...

Best regards from Randers!
    Tonni
    Considering how common the surname Hansen was in his youth, even if there was, there would be no guarantee of relationship. Most of my grandfather's siblings were female so they had their husband's surname. He himself swore he would not name any male heirs Hans. Of course he did name one Harold August, so that one could inherit any monogrammed silver.
    ---------------------------------------
    One has no need for a snooze button, when one has a hungry cat.

Tartan Riders, Kilted Oregon

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Really a McQueen For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Really a McQueen View Post
    Considering how common the surname Hansen was in his youth, even if there was, there would be no guarantee of relationship. Most of my grandfather's siblings were female so they had their husband's surname. He himself swore he would not name any male heirs Hans. Of course he did name one Harold August, so that one could inherit any monogrammed silver.
    Hans was/is a rather common first name, here in Denmark. As is in many nordic and germanic countries. Thus Hansen/Hansson are quite common as well. As i'm sure You know, those surnames mean Hans son in Danish Norwegian and Swedish. This was the way to give kids their names 150+ Years ago. Either that, city or trade often gave the "surnames". A father got a son, Niels. The father was named Anders. So the sons full name often would be, Niels Andersen (Niels, Son of Anders)... This can be a real pain, when you want to do your family tree! Some families did have surnames that were inherited, but most of them were mid to high class citizens.
    A guess, by the way, Harold was born in August..? And monogrammed silver. Fun to have, out of historic reasons. But a pain to ready for use...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Western Australia

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauge View Post
    Hans was/is a rather common first name, here in Denmark. As is in many nordic and germanic countries. Thus Hansen/Hansson are quite common as well. As i'm sure You know, those surnames mean Hans son in Danish Norwegian and Swedish. This was the way to give kids their names 150+ Years ago. Either that, city or trade often gave the "surnames". A father got a son, Niels. The father was named Anders. So the sons full name often would be, Niels Andersen (Niels, Son of Anders)... This can be a real pain, when you want to do your family tree! Some families did have surnames that were inherited, but most of them were mid to high class citizens.
    A guess, by the way, Harold was born in August..? And monogrammed silver. Fun to have, out of historic reasons. But a pain to ready for use...
    Any name that ends with "son" or "sen" is Germanic. Any name that ends with "daughter", "dotter" etc. is specifically Scandinavian. I think that tradition mostly endures in Iceland and the Faroe Islands, these days.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninehostages View Post
    Any name that ends with "son" or "sen" is Germanic. Any name that ends with "daughter", "dotter" etc. is specifically Scandinavian. I think that tradition mostly endures in Iceland and the Faroe Islands, these days.
    Exactly. The tradition calling a daughter dottir/dotter/datter, ect. is mostly used the isles. And also some places, mostly in the northern parts of Norway iirc.
    The last time the surname ending with datter, was used in my family, is around 170 Years ago. After that, the name Hauge Møller (miller from the garden?) took over entirely, on my fathers side, and Sørensen on my moms.
    I'm born with the surnames Hauge Møller. That my wife, and i agreed on combining our family names to Hauge Bilde, is a whole other story...
    Hauge is mostly Scandinavian. And that Bilde is a very old name, dating back in the middle ages, known in different forms like Bild, Bille, ect. is to long a story, to get in to here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Michigan, USA!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Western Michigan, a wee bit northeast of Kyle. There is a kiltedHam subgroup. It's not very active but perhaps you,and I and Michigankyle can change that.
    He and I did do a kilted meetup at a hamswap earlier in the year. We had a number of great conversations about kilts with other attendees.
    73-N8WLF

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Brian Rose For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Rose View Post
    Welcome from Western Michigan, a wee bit northeast of Kyle. There is a kiltedHam subgroup. It's not very active but perhaps you,and I and Michigankyle can change that.
    He and I did do a kilted meetup at a hamswap earlier in the year. We had a number of great conversations about kilts with other attendees.
    73-N8WLF
    That was, indeed, a lot of fun. There is a strong overlap between the rather "open to out of the box thinking" tendencies of hams and those who wear kilts. There was quite a bit of interest at that hamfest (particularly in this case from the hams of the female persuasion), and we may have won over a few other folks to the kilted side. And I picked up some rather interesting gear, some of which I had been considering building myself, so that was awesome.

Here's a link to the group, if you want to join:

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/g...hp?groupid=111

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast