X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some White Tie Options

I was recently inducted into the Fraternal Order of the Golden Owl and invited to their white tie gala. For the formal events that attend regularly, I wear my navy blue Montrose doublet with a jabot. However, the Order of the Golden Owl states that their neck insignia should only be worn with straight ties and bowties. So, should I open up the top of my doublet to allow the room for a bowtie, or look into other jacket types. If the later, I'm leaning toward the regulation doublet as I don't care for PCs. But, I'll need to find a place that sells white vests that would look right with the regulation doublet.
    Last edited by Sir Didymous; 25th July 21 at 01:20 PM.
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a Darcy's Marcella Waistcoat with my Regulation Doublet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wearing decorations (ribbons, orders, chains, etc) over the lace jabot with a Montrose doublet is quite 'the done thing' and is to be regularly seen on officials in Court Dress at ceremonies such as the State Opening of Parliament in the UK.

It is thought that the fashion for wearing a black bow-tie originated with gentlemen wearing a black velvet or similar cloth ribbon tied as a bow over their jabot - as can be seen in late 18th century portraits.

Figheadair is spot-on with the white marcella waistcoat and regulation doublet. The white waistcoat is most often backless, with adjustable straps that allow it to be worn tight to the body. A white bow-tie (marcella is again ideal) with a standing or wing-collar is de rigueur - never a fold-down collar with white wiastcoat. But a fold-down collar is quite alright with a black bow-tie.

Strict rule: never a black bow-tie with a white waistcoat, unless you are a waiter..!

I believe Debrette still publishes its guide to etiquette and modern manners, to help avoid faux pas in such situations, and the Lord Chamberlain's office gives guidance on dress regulations for official Royal functions - in case you ever find your presence is requested. You never know...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple different jabots. One is a complete self-tie and the other is like a bib of layered lace ruffs attached to a white silk neck band that wraps around and ties in a smallish bow in the front. It sounds as if I should be fine if I wear that one.
    Keep your rings charged, pleats in the back, and stay geeky!
    https://kiltedlantern.wixsite.com/kiltedlantern

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a Montrose doublet, either of the jabots would be right - any decorations or orders can be worn around the neck and rest on the lace. It usually looks very smart.

For white evening waistcoats that can be paired with a regulation doublet, these are worth looking at:

https://www.darcyclothing.com/collec...aistcoat-sh232

http://www.clermontdirect.com/cotton...oat-p-132.html

Darcy Clothing have an interesting range of reproduction period garments that look very authentic - they supply studios and theatrical production companies. Some of their shirts are intended to be worn with a period doublet, showing cuff and collar - one of these could be teamed with a jabot and Montrose doublet for a bit of added dash.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also vote for wearing the self-tie jabot (which then has a “bow tie” incorporated) and wearing the decoration on top. This is Highland white tie, the white Marcella bow tie equivalent. I don’t think it will cause offense.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to RichardtheLarge For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardtheLarge View Post
    I would also vote for wearing the self-tie jabot (which then has a “bow tie” incorporated) and wearing the decoration on top. This is Highland white tie, the white Marcella bow tie equivalent. I don’t think it will cause offense.
    Three cases in point at this link: https://www.keepersofthequaich.co.uk...softhesociety/

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RichardtheLarge For This Useful Post: