X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Daywear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I suppose that would hold true for most forms of attire apart from beachwear, where the confident smile is all that is needed!
    Hopefully, a confident smile is not ALL that is needed or else I fear an arrest could be forthcoming.

;-)

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ktk1961 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    As a teacher, I wear a tie every day. But it hardly feels "formal."

We've had a couple of generations in the US where boys didn't learn how to dress from their fathers and the men's stores that used to help educate young men have largely fallen victim to Wal-Mart and Amazon. Since the rise of "casual Friday," office workers have become less and less sure what to wear for business, and a significant percentage of the populace sees dressing (way) down as a sort of reverse-snobbery fashion statement. I have seen my son, who makes more money than I do, at a business meeting in a Darth Vader t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. So clearly, the traditional rules are not widely observed today.

I do find it humorous that all these people have chosen to be "nonconformist" by dressing in the exact same sports attire as the others. So now, instead of the "men in the grey flannel suit" crowding the subway at rush hour, we have the "men in the grey sweat pants and t-shirts."

This is how you get people who can't imagine that wearing a tie isn't the same thing as "black tie."

Andrew
    It's even worse than that. I have heard men say only half-jokingly that wearing a tie to work is a sackable offence.

Apparantly, wearing a tie has come to represent particular socio-political values, like certain words, and the tie can be perceived as an insult to co-workers!

Personally, I like to wear a tie, as it not only keeps the shirt and collar neat, I find it is more comfortable with a jacket. But I am a habitual waistcoat wearer, too, having inherited a number from my father and grandfather, along with their selection of ties. I sometimes wonder if my wardrobe has too much the look of a period drama costume department stores!

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too think its no big thing to wear a tie for no reason at all, I am glad to note that my adult sons take the same view. I was quite happy to wear a tie around the farm too, apart from when working with machinery. I note though that the wearing of ties is explicitly discouraged in the latest edition of "terms and conditions" for employees on the farm these days. A very sensible precaution in my view taken by the "new management".
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like wearing ties, especially to work.

My place of business was always more toward the "casual" end but did not allow T-shirts or shorts historically. It seems that has changed during COVID, since people now show up to the office wearing just that.

During the week, if I need to go into the office (rare since I usually work from home), I wear a collared shirt and tie (and slacks). If it's cool outside, I will wear a tweed jacket, or a long coat if it's actually cold. On Fridays (the only day each week that I always go physically to work), I compromise with the casual and wear a polo shirt. I never wear T-shirts or shorts to work.

To connect this with kilt-wearing, whenever we have a social event at work, I will wear a kilt - always with a shirt and tie (and appropriate tweed jacket if weather dictates). That usually happens around four times per year.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly agree with Jock that there are some activities where a tie would be inadvisable or even dangerous. Operating certain kinds of machinery, anything involving open flames, or working with certain kinds of animals are examples that come to mind.

However, luckily, none of these circumstances have arisen in the offices and schools where I have worked so far in my life!

Andrew

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly the conventions have changed over time.

My first job was as a field service engineer - which I did for over 5 years. I had to wear a business suit and tie (even when I was grubbing around with machines all day). I even once got carpeted for not wearing a suit jacket (just outwear) and having designer stubble (it was the late 80s).

I then packed it in and took myself of to uni to study law in my mid 20s. For pretty much the first 10 years of my legal career full business suit was called for - although there were moves towards "dress-down" when not seeing clients, with some stringent requirements as to what that entailed and a strong recommendation to keep a suit at the office "just in case" - but by the time I was at my last firm (mid-2000s) the tie had pretty much gone and a suit and open-collar shirt was perfectly acceptable most of the time. My first role in-house had a similar dress code of a suit but no tie. These days I usually wear jeans and a casual collared shirt with a blazer or sports-jacket (sometimes tweed, linen in the summer or maybe corduroy or canvas) - although t-shirt and shorts are also acceptable (weather permitting).

I don't think I have worn a tie for the last 15 years or so other then when kilted or attending weddings and funerals etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here’s me and my girls . Obviously it’s quite difficult to see me, but just a couple of minor tweaks, most notably the Alexander Ritchie brooch, bought on Iona a good few years ago as a gift from the missus, which has been pressed into service as my only kilt pin.

Steve.

"We, the kilted ones, are ahead of the curve" -
    Bren.

12. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to StevieR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pic @StevieR

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to 12stones For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123