X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    These special programmes are always upbeat and often unabashedly sentimental, even maudlin, to us. The themes are goodwill, togetherness, and the putting aside of grievances.
    I'd say that our American holiday programming is similar in this way. Our society may be more materialistic, though from my time in the UK I'd say there's plenty of materialism that takes place across the pond as well. I do agree wholeheartedly, however, that UK TV is better than American TV. I could live completely on a diet of the Graham Norton Show and 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes time off over Christmas is all over the place here in the USA.

Where I work it's one of the busiest times of the year. We are open full hours on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, every day of the year in fact.

My wife, on the other hand, gets the period from Christmas Day to New Years Day off. One year, as a Christmas bonus, everyone got two weeks off and were paid double for those weeks!
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Pleater;1394241] verses at some 'do' in the week before Christmas, it was the local folk club most years, ending with the first veI have just been looking for the German words to Silent Night.
    I usually sing a couple of/QUOTE]

Anne, if you're still looking, I believe the German text here is accurate. The site is ChoralWiki/Choral Public Domain Library.

https://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/..._Xaver_Gruber)
    Ken Sallenger - apprentice kiltmaker, journeyman curmudgeon,
    gainfully unemployed systems programmer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=fluter;1394340]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    verses at some 'do' in the week before Christmas, it was the local folk club most years, ending with the first veI have just been looking for the German words to Silent Night.

Anne, if you're still looking, I believe the German text here is accurate. The site is ChoralWiki/Choral Public Domain Library.

Stille Nacht sounds beautiful in German. It's nice in English but it was made for German.
    Those ancient U Nialls from Donegal were a randy bunch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=fluter;1394340]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    verses at some 'do' in the week before Christmas, it was the local folk club most years, ending with the first veI have just been looking for the German words to Silent Night.

Thank you for that - I have got the words written out, but not so neatly done and with the music.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12