X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: New Sgian

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Sgian

An event is coming up which calls for more formal dress and the need for a sgian more formally styled than my stag handled one. I'm always a fan of wearing a blade and was anxious to buy one, albeit on a budget as this will be a very seldom used accessory. Sadly, I just could not cope with settling for a knife with a plastic handle, which seemed to be the vast majority of them in my price range. So, I decided to 'make' one myself. Well, the handle anyway. I bought a simple style of formal sgian on amazon for about $9, and a lovely thistle pin on etsy for about $15. My plan was to make my own wood handle and sheath then use the nickel silver fittings and blade from the $9 knife. I was eager to finally try a staining process called ebonizing to produce a dark black stain and was very pleasantly surprised to discover that it utilizes a very similar chemical reaction to the process by which bogwood acquires its color...albeit distinctly faster. For my first knife, I'm very happy with the result.

Excellent instructions for ebonizing were found here: https://www.popularwoodworking.com/f...bonizing_wood/
    IMG_3555.JPG
    IMG_3561.JPG
    IMG_3562.JPG
    IMG_3616.JPG
    IMG_3687.JPG

2. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to MurrayInGA For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayInGA View Post
    An event is coming up which calls for more formal dress and the need for a sgian more formally styled than my stag handled one. I'm always a fan of wearing a blade and was anxious to buy one, albeit on a budget as this will be a very seldom used accessory. Sadly, I just could not cope with settling for a knife with a plastic handle, which seemed to be the vast majority of them in my price range. So, I decided to 'make' one myself. Well, the handle anyway. I bought a simple style of formal sgian on amazon for about $9, and a lovely thistle pin on etsy for about $15. My plan was to make my own wood handle and sheath then use the nickel silver fittings and blade from the $9 knife. I was eager to finally try a staining process called ebonizing to produce a dark black stain and was very pleasantly surprised to discover that it utilizes a very similar chemical reaction to the process by which bogwood acquires its color...albeit distinctly faster. For my first knife, I'm very happy with the result.

Excellent instructions for ebonizing were found here: https://www.popularwoodworking.com/f...bonizing_wood/

Wow! Well done! Thanks for the ebonizing info. I may have to take a stab at that, myself. (You see what I did there?)
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, wear it well. I do love a unique sgian with a wood handle so much more than a plastic one.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a beauty!

- That makes me green with envy, due to living in a country, where sgian's are illegal to wear...

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hauge For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done!
    Tulach Ard

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely work there!

There is something really nice about carrying a knife you made, it is yours and unique.

Well done

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post: