X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vintage two-tassel 1950s-60s sporran

I have been unable to date this sporran exactly, but its style and construction suggests artisan-made from around the 1950s or 60s. But it might be earlier - an identical sporran is illustrated in the Scott Adie catalogue for 1945.

It is made from a superbly soft and supple dark-brown leather - I think it is deer-skin - with the suede side being used to create a gentle intertior. It has a bellows-style expanding bag, with a two-cord drawstring closure, and piping around the welt of the gusset.

The fold-over flap is fastened with a monk-rivet stud, and the simple blind-tooling edge decoration is still visible. The leather appears in remarkably good condition, with no cracks or splits - it has obviously been well looked after.

I think £75.00 would be a fair price, plus postage - USA $104.29 + $34.89 / Canada $132.37 + $37.41 - for international insurred, tracked and signed-for delivery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9289a.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	40467 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9290a.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	40468 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9295a.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	40469 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9296a.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	40470

I am happy to answer any questions or send more pictures.

THIS IS NOW SOLD
    Last edited by Troglodyte; 20th September 21 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Item has sold

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I hate that I didn't snatch this up. I actually saw this sporran on Etsy and almost bought it (I haven't been checking this area of the forum so didn't even realize it was posted here). Got distracted and when I went back to look the next day it was gone. Even more bummed now that I know it could have been from another XMarks member.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to find a page from the Scott Adie catalogue for 1947 showing this sporran - so I had got my dating wrong by as much as a decade. It was in remarkably good condition for a sporran 70-odd years old, and may even have been available from some time before that. The style seems to have been continued into the 1950s, so that was my reference.

Perhaps I had better not let you know the price it sold for..!

The others listed are still available, and the NOS three-tassel of a similar vintage is a beauty!

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, this was an heirloom-quality sporran I hated to pass on, as well, but I'm glad it found a good home.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    The others listed are still available, and the NOS three-tassel of a similar vintage is a beauty!
    I've looked. There's something about the tassels on the NOS that don't sit with me. Otherwise I'd be all over it. I'm keeping an eye out now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The strands of the tassels have been left joined, so as to prevent the ugly splaying and curling that blights so many sporran tassels - particularly those that are made from thin leather.

The tassels on this sporran put me in mind of a thistle just reaching the point of full bloom - I am sure this is intentional - but there is nothing to prevent the tassels being 'opened' fully if preferred.

But this morning's messages show it sold over-night, so is no longer available. I hope I don't regret parting with it..!

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post: