X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I would agree...

Having been left with two and a half yards of cloth when I had my last kilt made (I had bought the end of a 'piece' and it was more than enough for the kilt) the kiltmaker suggested a plaid should be made from the remainder. A 'belted-plaid' was the choice, being fuller and heavier than a fly-plaid.

Whilst essentially decorative, it is also a practical garment - long enough to cover my shoulders, and wrap up those of my lady-love who clings close as we scamper through the sleet after having danced the night away.
    Do you mean a Half Plaid? A Belted Plaid is the term usually used to refer to the Feileadh Mor or Breacan an Fheileadh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may well be known as a half-plaid, but I have always known it as a belted-plaid (quite distinct from its historic name-sake that it emulates) as it is attached with a belt.

Mine is a bit like the top half of a breacan feile, that has been sewn up into pleats like the back of the kilt, and with a belt that holds it in place at the waist. The sewn-in pleats give the impression that it is a continuation of the pleated secton of the kilt, and not quite that wide. It is fringed along the top and both ends, and needs to be held at the shoulder with a brooch.

Positioning of the brooch allows the plaid to open fully, across the shoulders and arms, and the amount of material means that it can be drawn up into folds and drapes in a decorative way if desired. It's actually not much shorter in length than a normal plaid, and is quite pratical in a cape-like way.

Apart from being more than decoration, I think it looks much better than a fly-plaid - but having said that all that, I have to admit mine has only seen action a couple of times, and is by no means part of the regular outfit..!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The splendid fellow on the far left of this picture seems to be wearing what I am talking about, only mine might have more material as it is long enough to easily cover cuff-to-cuff while going around the shoulders when opened.

Kilt23.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The splendid fellow on the far left of this picture seems to be wearing what I am talking about, only mine might have more material as it is long enough to easily cover cuff-to-cuff while going around the shoulders when opened.

Kilt23.jpg
    This type was described in some detail by Matthew Newsome: https://albanach.org/now-thats-a-plaid-b4003e2da1f8 .

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nemuragh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something like this

images.jpg

but the pleats don't extend quite far forward.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something like this

images.jpg

but the pleats don't extend quite far forward.
    That's a Half Plaid. Here's a real one from 1822. Phote credit: National Museums of Scotland.

Piper’s uniform worn by Malcolm McCallum, 1822. NMS A.1915.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half-plaid it is then...

But that's a curious looking garment from 1822 - as it seems to be hanging pleated around, and covering the left half of the kilt, and I guess it is full in the back and fastened at the shoulder in usual way. I've not seen that version before, so thanks for the picture.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half-plaid it is then...

But that's a curious looking garment from 1822 - as it seems to be hanging pleated around, and covering the left half of the kilt, and I guess it is full in the back and fastened at the shoulder in usual way. I've not seen that version before, so thanks for the picture.
    Here's another from the same period but laid out to show the shape. You can see the finging on one side which is arranged to hang down in the front in the other picture. Bear in mind, that is from a museum piece and may not be an accurate reflectin of how it was actually worn.

A.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemuragh View Post
    This type was described in some detail by Matthew Newsome: https://albanach.org/now-thats-a-plaid-b4003e2da1f8 .
    Great article by Matt regarding the plaid. I'll never have the occasion to wear one, but do like the look of this over that of the fly plaid.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know fly plaids don't get a lot of love on XMTS but...

Welcome to XMTS from a fellow Californian!

I agree with the others against wearing a fly plaid with a Prince Charlie. It spoils the clean lines of the jacket. However I think they look really wonderful with a doublet. Once you are in white tie territory with highland attire, while flamboyant, the fly plaid really makes the outfit.

Cheers

Jamie

Last edited by Panache; 29th August 21 at 10:57 AM.
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast