X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great look Jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Welcome to XMTS from a fellow Californian!

I agree with the others against wearing a fly plaid with a Prince Charlie. It spoils the clean lines of the jacket. However I think they look really wonderful with a doublet. Once you are in white tie territory with highland attire, while flamboyant, the fly plaid really makes the outfit.

Cheers

Jamie

These are beautiful shots Jamie, Well done!

I think the portrait shot is marvelous. You wear it very well.

Shinenotburn

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a group of Scots who have worn Highland Dress regularly since they were youths- they're pipers.

As you can see the Evening Dress of the 1930s has changed little, the main difference being that until fairly recently buckled shoes and tartan hose were considered standard for Evening Dress, and plain shoes and plain hose were considered squarely in the realm of Day Dress.

Here half the men are wearing tartan hose and only one gent is wearing buckles, the always dapper Gordon Walker, who tends to be the most dressed-up man at any occasion.

He's also the only man not wearing the currently ubiquitous black Prince Charlie.

What you don't see are ruffles, crossbelts, weaponry, brooches, plaids, and all the other things now considered oldfashioned in Evening Dress.

Last edited by OC Richard; 8th September 21 at 06:07 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White tie Highland attire

I know some may not like or care to wear the dirk,but I think it does have a place if allowed.

This is a white tie outfit I've just finished putting together. The dirk works for me.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    received_1089428954952474.jpg

Not the best photo, but this would be my go to for black tie. I agree that the tartan hose are not necessary, but where else would I wear them? This occasion was a Masonic lodge installation at which I was also the piper.

I don't own a fly plaid & am unlikely to. I do own a full plaid, but would only ever wear that when turned out as a piper as in my avatar image.

Cheers,
    Rama4390

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Rama4390 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, here are my Evening Dress outfits.

On the right (Drummond of Perth tartan) is a modern traditional (c1920-present) look with "fully fashioned" Argyll hose and modern Evening Dress seal sporran.

On the left (Isle of Skye tartan) is a more oldfashioned look with goathair Edwardian sporran and castellated hose. I should note that long hair sporrans were never fully replaced by the modern small seal Evening Dress sporrans and are considered proper even today.

Modern (non-Highland) Black Tie etiquette calls for a shirt with ordinary collar.

Note the almost entire lack of accessories, mine consisting only of sgian and kilt pin, which as you see are subtle and don't change the overall look. Adding more accessories begins the "cumulative costume effect".

Last edited by OC Richard; 3rd March 22 at 06:16 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123