X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second costume dirk project reworked into a dress dirk

This project started with a very inexpensive Indian made Dirk with a badly damaged sheath. (cost was a few years ago $70.)

On this dirk I converted the sheath to accommodate the by knife and fork,
    which were purchased separately on ebay for $18 dollars. CAN
    After which I fashioned the silver plated, stamped brass sections from an (ebay purchased for $30.)
    picture frame into the shapes needed for the dirk. (5.5 x7.5" frame renders enough silver plated material to do this dirk.)
    Adding various fittings where needed for the effect I wanted. (Sharp shears and a dremel come in handy here.)
    ( Using different silver plated materials, you will find the colours do not always match up perfectly,
    but they are close enough that if they start to patina, the differences probably won't show up that bad.)

Then I reworked the dirk itself, giving it a new hilt and pommel with appropriate stone to match the fork and knife.
    Adding the silver chains to secure those elements, and finally finishing off the cone tip of the dirk
    with some silver findings and the reforming of a baking mold and a small curtain rod finial.
    To fasten the fittings on the back I used glue and small silver tacks. I'm learning to work with this light material better with each project.
    I am going to try compression folds and or silver solder next time.

Looks like a lot of Highland Bling for not a lot of bucks I think.

Let me know what you all think...

Starting with something like this...

I converted it to this below ... replacing all but one of the cast pieces with newly formed silver plated stamped brass fittings.

Last edited by Shinenotburn; 21st August 21 at 07:26 AM. Reason: adding backup picture

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is excellent work..!

One solution to the difference in colour tone to the different metals would be to make up all the component pieces and have them silver plated before assembling - not an expensive process, I understand.

Incidentally, James Boswell's account of his journey to the Western Isles with Dr Johnson in the 1770s gives an account of such a dirk being used 'in action' so to speak. Their host, on sitting down to dine, takes out the knife and fork and cuts up his meal for eating. The knife and fork are then passed to his lady, who uses them throughout the meal.

Using one's own cutlery when dining - particularly when travelling and staying at an inn - seems to have been the norm for gentlemen at one time, but apears to have been a particularly Scottish or Highland custom. If it had ever been the habit in the Lowlands or England, it had long since been abandoned, so as to be remarkable to Johnson and Boswell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

excellent suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    That is excellent work..!

One solution to the difference in colour tone to the different metals would be to make up all the component pieces and have them silver plated before assembling - not an expensive process, I understand.

Incidentally, James Boswell's account of his journey to the Western Isles with Dr Johnson in the 1770s gives an account of such a dirk being used 'in action' so to speak. Their host, on sitting down to dine, takes out the knife and fork and cuts up his meal for eating. The knife and fork are then passed to his lady, who uses them throughout the meal.

Using one's own cutlery when dining - particularly when travelling and staying at an inn - seems to have been the norm for gentlemen at one time, but apears to have been a particularly Scottish or Highland custom. If it had ever been the habit in the Lowlands or England, it had long since been abandoned, so as to be remarkable to Johnson and Boswell.

Thank you for that suggestion on the silver plating. That would solve the problem very well. A great idea for next time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Towards the end of last year, I was in discussion with a Scottish supplier of pewter items, and the finishes available. Silver-plating as the final stage of the making process would increase the price by only £5.00..! How could I refuse that..?

I can't imagine things are so greatly different in Canada, so getting all the trimmings for a fancy dirk silver-plated ought to be well within reason - especially when the other costs you've listed seem so compelling.

Conversely, I also recently needed to have some chrome-lating done - the cheapest I could find had a minimum 'handling' charge of £50.00..!

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post: