X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best practices for mailing a kilt

Could I beg some best practices for packing a kilt for mailing (to ensure the recipient gets the kilt in the best shape possible)? Or if this has been covered in an older thread, you could point me to it?
    Cheers!

p.s., I wasn’t sure if this post fit better in this category or the Kilt Advice category—please correct me if necessary.
    Last edited by Professor Mac X; 19th August 21 at 05:00 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done a LOT of kilt mailing from churning my collection and shipping off for alterations. I do what my kiltmaker does. She uses the USPS Priority Mail "Board Game Box." It's the perfect size for mailing a kilt or two - depending upon the material.

https://store.usps.com/store/product...gbfrb-P_GB_FRB

I choose to wrap the kilt I'm shipping in a plastic bag just in case the carton breaks open.

You can also easily include other items like flashes in with the shipment.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riverkilt has the right beta. I mailed two USA Kilts Casual kilts recently, and chose to use what USA Kilts used: a Medium Flat Rate Box. I also wrapped the kilts in plastic, just in case the box is damaged.

My first kilt ever was rolled, and placed in a shipping tube before being mailed from Scotland to California. It also had basting stitches, as is common with 8-yard wool kilts. This was ideal, as the pleats were perfectly crisp and there were no folds in the apron! I do think it's a bit more expensive, but worth it for nicer kilts.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KennethSime For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure that the plastic bag is sealed so that if the box gets wet there is less chance of the contents being affected.

I bought a quantity of tartan cloth and when delivered the packaging was disintegrating, the plastic bag holding the cloth had kept it all together, but it was wet through, the bag had not only allowed the water in but had stopped it evaporating.

Luckily wool can survive being wet very well, but it did smell rather musty and had to be washed several times to restore it, then pressed, and pressing 10 meters of double width fabric is quite a workout.

With a kilt you might need to take out the basting thread to wash and dry it, then put them back for the pressing, also a lot of work, so best avoided if at all possible.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post: