X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

Where care is needed with choosing a "gun Club" tweed for a kilt jacket with its the multi coloured lines and that may be fine for a sports jacket, suit, or shooting suit , but I have serious doubts about a kilt jacket being made of it.
    For sure I'm taking a risk- that "gun club check" was one of the tweeds I didn't get a sample of!

I've never seen the tweed in person, or even a photo of a jacket made from it.

But I'm not overly concerned. The overall tone of that Marton Mills "multicheck" is quite neutral, a grey-Lovat.

Besides that's the thing about those checks- they neither blend nor clash with any outfit.

Here's some of my inspiration

Last edited by OC Richard; 25th August 21 at 07:12 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice check examples there OCR. But I am not sure that they really meet my definition of a Gun Club Check. Still let us see in due course how your new jacket turns out. Here's hoping for the best!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 25th August 21 at 07:52 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard,

I'm not sure this is of help, or not.

This is my one checked jacket. I believe it is the Glenurquart (pronounced "Glenurcut") tweed jacket It is a more casual (and American) style, than traditional highland attire, but and I think it looks quite nice with the kit.

Cheers

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 25th August 21 at 05:40 PM.
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That style of tweed is often known generically as glen checks, as it derives from the well-known but specific Glen Urquhart. A glance at others like Glenfinnan, Glen Orchy or Glen Isla tweeds shows there is something of a 'glen' theme going on with that style of weave. But not all of that sort of tweed is a 'glen' - Kinlochewe or Lochbuie for example.

That bomber-jacket stye is certainly American, but the short, easy fit goes well with the kilt - like the old army battle-dress blouson. There was a time not so long ago when leather bomber-jackets of that style, or jeans-jackets were seen fairly commonly with the kilt for casual-wear. And why not..?

Most short-waisted jackets look balanced with the kilt, and the tweed like this one helps that along nicely.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your choice (although I don't think you could go wrong with any of the tweeds you were considering). Most of my tweeds are fairly subdued but last year I picked up this jacket; definitely a different look and one I enjoy on occasion.

20210506_160356~2.jpg

Shane

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of those swatches were fabulous and I don't think you could have made a wrong choice. I can't wait to see how your multicheck turns out. I was a little dubious at first when I read it, but the picture you shared sold me on your choice.

5IuWgrZ.jpg

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to 12stones For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tweed choices

Those are all very nice indeed Richard. Love to see what it turns out like.

These are a few choices I have been kicking around lately.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My jacket arrived yesterday!

I couldn't be more pleased.

Not only does the tweed itself look much nicer in person than in the online image (like all tweeds and tartans do) the overall colour-effect is halfway between my two favourite Marton Mills swatches- Plover and Dunlin Coffee.

I simply couldn't visualise Marton Mills Multicheck done up in a jacket, and it's stunning.

It's risky buying a bespoke jacket because you can't try it on beforehand, however the fit is perfection. St Kilda offers "piper's cut" jackets, with the arm-holes more circular than oval, allowing your arms more range of motion (as when doing Highland Tenor Drumming or Drum Major flourishing) and allowing pipers to shove the bag up into the armpit. That's the cut I got.

No time yet to wear a Highland outfit, but just now I laid out the jacket with three of my kilts, and as you can see the jacket looks fantastic with all of them.
    L-R
    -Hunting Stewart Weathered (Marton Mills 16oz tweed)

-Isle Of Skye (Lochcarron 16oz)

-Drummond Of Perth Muted (House Of Edgar 13oz)

Here's a closeup which shows off the jacket's lovely colours more accurately

Last edited by OC Richard; 9th October 21 at 07:48 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

16. The Following 13 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    My jacket arrived yesterday!

I couldn't be more pleased.

Not only does the tweed itself look much nicer in person than in the online image (like all tweeds and tartans do) the overall colour-effect is halfway between my two favourite Marton Mills swatches- Plover and Dunlin Coffee.

I simply couldn't visualise Marton Mills Multicheck done up in a jacket, and it's stunning.

It's risky buying a bespoke jacket because you can't try it on beforehand, however the fit is perfection. St Kilda offers "piper's cut" jackets, with the arm-holes more circular than oval, allowing your arms more range of motion (as when doing Highland Tenor Drumming or Drum Major flourishing) and allowing pipers to shove the bag up into the armpit. That's the cut I got.

No time yet to wear a Highland outfit, but just now I laid out the jacket with my three kilts, and as you can see the jacket looks fantastic with all of them. (These photos in no way do the jacket justice.)

Looks wonderful! Long may you enjoy

Shane

18. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a stunning result. I do look forward to seeing photos of you wearing it. Well done indeed. I will say, loud or busy tweeds can be a bit of a hurdle for some but once you make the leap it can open up a world of possibilities. Again well done, wear it well.

20. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast