X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't want to rain on your parade OCR, but you have, I am afraid, achieved exactly the effect that I feared you would with your jacket.The colour scheme and their patterns in the tweed diminishes the effect of the tartan. Sorry.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 10th October 21 at 01:32 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    you have, I am afraid, achieved exactly the effect that I feared you would with your jacket. The colour scheme and their patterns in the tweed diminishes the effect of the tartan.
    Yes I was conscious of the same effect, however I was somewhat surprised to see how at any distance the jacket's pattern becomes mostly lost and we're left with a quite neutral taupe-ish colour.

Only in closeup do we get the plaid-on-plaid effect which, in the case of these particular fabrics, is not displeasing to me.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 10th October 21 at 03:53 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes I was conscious of the same effect, however I was somewhat surprised to see how at any distance the jacket's pattern becomes mostly lost and we're left with a quite neutral taupe-ish colour.

Only in closeup do we get the plaid-on-plaid effect which, in the case of these particular fabrics, is not displeasing to me.
    At conversational distances, it’s quite a pleasing look; moreso than the swatch from earlier indicated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I love this up close and from far away. Great choice for a jacket and glad that you love it. I don't think it takes away from the tartan at all. Can't wait to see how it looks on.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The jacket came out great, Richard!

I'm surprised at myself that I'm actually not a fan of it paired with the tweed kilt. However, this checked jacket against the Drummond tartan is a beautiful combination! I wonder if, as Jock Scot has suggested, it's because the bold colors of that tartan allow it to maintain center stage in the rig.
    Last edited by JPS; 11th October 21 at 07:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    My jacket arrived yesterday!

I couldn't be more pleased.

Not only does the tweed itself look much nicer in person than in the online image (like all tweeds and tartans do) the overall colour-effect is halfway between my two favourite Marton Mills swatches- Plover and Dunlin Coffee.

I simply couldn't visualise Marton Mills Multicheck done up in a jacket, and it's stunning.

It's risky buying a bespoke jacket because you can't try it on beforehand, however the fit is perfection. St Kilda offers "piper's cut" jackets, with the arm-holes more circular than oval, allowing your arms more range of motion (as when doing Highland Tenor Drumming or Drum Major flourishing) and allowing pipers to shove the bag up into the armpit. That's the cut I got.

No time yet to wear a Highland outfit, but just now I laid out the jacket with three of my kilts, and as you can see the jacket looks fantastic with all of them.
    L-R
    -Hunting Stewart Weathered (Marton Mills 16oz tweed)

-Isle Of Skye (Lochcarron 16oz)

-Drummond Of Perth Muted (House Of Edgar 13oz)

Here's a closeup which shows off the jacket's lovely colours more accurately

The high position of the 'piper's cut' jacket is interesting to know.

It sounds quite a lot like what I have specified (much against the tailor's inclinations) when I have had jackets made in the past. With those, I have had the arm-hole cut higher, and have had a 'gusset' placed in the under-arm seam.

The gusset allows the arm to be raised to shoulder height or more, without the irritating pulling up of the body of the jacket. A box-pleat in the rear centre seam, or at the shoulders transforms the wearability of the jacket hugely.

I guess the piper's cut does the same thing.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you've chosen wisely. I think your jacket and waistcoat look smashing with your tartans and don't diminish from them one iota. I think the overall look will be smart indeed.

Nathan
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great look; nice selection. I will say that I'm willing to concede that the jacket may diminish the effect of the tartan slightly but the overall look is greater than the sum of it's parts in this case.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Moses For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone considering having St. Kilda make me a jacket, I'm curious about how the tweed does in California weather?
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    I'm curious about how the tweed does in California weather?
    I now have four tweed jackets, and they're all heavy for our climate. I'm guessing they're 16 ounce or more.

That's the thing about my black Argyll, it's quite light, I'm guessing 11 ounce Barathea? 13 ounce at most, making it comfortably wearable when the tweeds are not.

Today I piped at a Memorial Mass. I'm rarely able to get a photo of myself in Highland attire; when I'm piping at funerals and weddings it's inappropriate. However today I buttonholed a caterer for a pic.

In my vow to avoid my Black Argyll whenever possible I wore my new (ex-hire) Geoffrey (Tailor) Edinburgh jacket & waistcoat

Last edited by OC Richard; 10th January 22 at 05:45 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

15. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast