X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeMark View Post
    Again, I'm finding this group to be so helpful!

................. Should I start another thread on that or just keep running here?
    I think if you have a specific question on a different kilt point, then start a new thread may be best.

The other option is to go back twenty or thirty pages in any particular section here and read through to the present page, there are some really interesting threads and posts contained within that may well answer some of your questions. They may of course raise more questions in the process.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 24th August 21 at 02:58 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will suggest looking through this thread that another member and myself put together some years ago now, pay attention to the last few outfits from each of us.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-attire-46888/

I lent out that black Prince Charlie and never got it back so now I wear this Claret Prince Charlie that I found on gumtree.co.uk for £20.

For a first go round I would say you might be more comfortable with the Black PC.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your kilted cruise

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeMark View Post
    Next year I'll be on a British Isle cruise with two stops in Scotland (we hope!). There will be formal nights on the cruise and I've decided I'd like to try the formal kilt look this time. Absolutely new to this. Need much guidance.

1. What are the big NO-NOs - I don't want to unintentionally do something stupid and offensive.

2. Tuxes are getting rarer on formal nights as cruising has gotten more informal, but you still see some (and yes, I rock a double breasted tux that is very cool, and also the white tux jacket from Casablanca - everyone comes to Rick's, you know, but I digress). So do I go full Prince Charles short jacket or would an argyll jacket be better if there are a lot of suits?

Most cruises have a couple of formal nights, If you have Prince Charlie jacket wear it, dress or semi dress sporran for evening.wear is fine

3. What is all that extra bling on the PC jackets?!

Dont worry about bling

4. How much worry do I need to have about matching in the total outfit? I see sporans with thistles and sgian dubh with thistles too and kilt pins with thistles. Should that all match? If I go with thistles on the sporan then I have to have them everywhere else? I kinda like lions but I wonder if that is a "no" because of the British lion ... and I don't think the Scots are real fond of them?

Pins Sgisn dubh and sporran cantle adornments do not need to match in my experience

5. Rules on dress sporans? I've read some here already but just need the short answer: fur or black leather?

Fur if you have but the other would equally be fine

6. I am hopeful to trace my roots across the pond and find a clan, but if disaster happens (argh, I'm French! LOL) then there are a couple of "universal" tartans like BlackWatch that are okay? This isn't viewed as lame and I really should junk the whole project rather than wear a generic tartan?

I have clan tartans but also wear generic tartans so wear what you like. Black watch is quite subtle , Hunting Stewart is also very good

7. What about fly plaids? That seems super dressy. Don't see that a lot in people's pics from cruises. Are there rules about when to wear one?

I never wear these it takes too much effort and ultimately not that comfy. Pipers do look great in this

Sorry for so many questions. Do not want to do this wrong. Do not want to disrespect kilts and all who love them! Thanks for your help.
    Your questions are respectful and pertinent , I think if you take a fairly simplistic kilt outfit with you you will enjoy wearing it and be complimented by your fellow passengers.

I wore a kilt on cruise ships for ten years. It was always well received

Enjoy your holiday

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I will suggest looking through this thread that another member and myself put together some years ago now, pay attention to the last few outfits from each of us.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-attire-46888/

I lent out that black Prince Charlie and never got it back so now I wear this Claret Prince Charlie that I found on gumtree.co.uk for £20.

For a first go round I would say you might be more comfortable with the Black PC.
    @McMurdo, after all these years you are still the king of kilted style. Bravo on this outfit and I have to ask where you got those phenomenal hose.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to 12stones For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
    @McMurdo, after all these years you are still the king of kilted style. Bravo on this outfit and I have to ask where you got those phenomenal hose.
    I got the Scottish Wildcat Argyll hose from D&D Natural Fiber this was the last pair of argyll hose they produced before retiring.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I got the Scottish Wildcat Argyll hose from D&D Natural Fiber this was the last pair of argyll hose they produced before retiring.
    Well, doesn't that just figure? lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very smart.

Quote Originally Posted by 12stones View Post

A very sharp outfit Glen, well done.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Shinenotburn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinenotburn View Post
    A very sharp outfit Glen, well done.
    Thank you.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of advice about cruises but my experience is that very few kilts are seen and those are wearing a Prince Charlie with bow tie, ghillie brogues and off white hose. It may not measure up to the standards here but that seems to be the norm I have experienced.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ivor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
    Lots of advice about cruises but my experience is that very few kilts are seen and those are wearing a Prince Charlie with bow tie, ghillie brogues and off white hose. It may not measure up to the standards here but that seems to be the norm I have experienced.
    As a veteran cruiser I've seen every kind of fashion mash-up and mistake possible, including some really awful bowtie and cummerbund combinations. With the help of this group I am hoping not to make any Scottish officers on the ship want to (1) correct me or (2) jump ship because they can't believe what they see me wearing!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast