X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoliBelle View Post
    Well, I wouldn't say my husband is "slender", however neither is he overweight. My son is on the slender side. I don't really have a choice about the amount of fabric I have to use. That is what he bought, without consulting me, along with the book and the link to the box pleat supplement.
    The 16oz fabric will be weighty enough for a box pleated kilt, so that would be the best option I think.
    You could always cheat a bit more fabric by making most of the under apron from a different fabric, something around the same weight in a darker toning colour, or a lighter weight doubled.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    The 16oz fabric will be weighty enough for a box pleated kilt, so that would be the best option I think.
    You could always cheat a bit more fabric by making most of the under apron from a different fabric, something around the same weight in a darker toning colour, or a lighter weight doubled.

Anne the Pleater
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    Unless your husband and son are quite slender, I'd not advise trying to make two kilts with that amount of material.

If you want to have the set centred on the front apron and fairly swishy pleats, with deep pleats at the edge of the aprons for easy movement and sitting with the aprons falling between the thighs, then more is better.

I believe I have not made myself a kilt with under 5 yards length after I took off material for the waist band and to centre the pattern on the front apron - not one which is recorded in my workbook.

Anne the Pleater
    I agree with Anne—the thing to do would be to make your son’s kilt with this order, and then order four yards of double width for your husband’s kilt. Having ordered and worn a number of kilts of various weights and yardages, I don’t think that I’ll order one less than eight yards in the future, and most probably nine.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RichardtheLarge For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been preparing to try my hand at making my own first homemade kilt, and the lengths I've coming up with have been around 3.5 yards of double-wide for just one kilt. That might be part of why you're lost - I don't think any of my kilts have only 3.5 yards of fabric in them. So, yeah, although it'd be kind of cool and potentially meaningful to have both of their kilts made from the same piece of cloth, you might have an easier time and get a better end result using all of that material for one kilt and just ordering some more.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MichiganKyle For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12