X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie question

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the HoE website they list the weight at 240 grams per square meter. This would mean at 140 cm width the weight is between 11oz and 12oz.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate that Steve. Here's a link from HoE stating the weight is 260 grams per square meter. But that's still not 14oz by my math - but I can't add, and I might have converted that incorrectly. Regardless it appears there is conflicting information on the web (that's shocking). I appreciate you pointing that out. So I'm looking into it.

If you'll recall I reached out to HoE. If/when they respond, I'll try to get a definitive answer. My vendor (ScotlandShop) lists it as 14oz. But they do not list the mill. I assumed - maybe incorrectly - that the mill was HoE, as they're the only one I've found selling the "Hebridean" line. That could be a misstep on my part. I've reached out to the vendor to confirm whether the mill is in fact HoE, and the weight.

I do like that tartan though. I might buy it even if it is just 10oz or 11oz or 12oz. I intend to buy another one anyway (HoE MacLeod Hunting muted 14oz). But maybe that one is mislabeled too. The rabbit hole goes deeper. ;)

--edit-- corrected the URL
    https://www.houseofedgar.com/product...idean-tartans/
    Last edited by LoE; 26th August 21 at 06:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoE View Post
    Hi, this is my first post. Been lurking a while, figured it was time to finally register. Can't ask questions if you don't register.

I have a question about the House of Edgar Hebridean line. I was considering getting 4 yards to use as a great kilt. I've found it difficult to find much info about this line, other than the colors from pics, and that it's made of 14oz new wool.

I really like the color palette I've seen in pics. I have a swatch on the way, but I won't know until it gets here. Any thoughts or impressions?
    Apologies, any info I have is second hand, but I have a kilt currently being made with fabric from this line. The Kiltmaker has a good reputation and she tells me the fabric is lovely.

Now this is for an 8 yard hand sewn kilt, so a bit different. If I get my kilt before you pull the trigger, I'll give you my thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd appreciate that. I have a swatches on the way.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to try a feilidh beag using this tartan in the 5-yard version, from USA Kilts. In addition to 4 yards of unstitched fabric in the Hebridean tartan, for use as a feilidh-mor.

It'd be nice to have options - if I'm in a hurry, go with the little kilt. If I want to take my time and/or wear my swords, go with the great kilt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old thread. But I finally pulled the trigger. This is 4 meters of double-width HoE MacLeod Hebridean. 14 oz wool.

Not a very good photo. Needs more light. The colors are dominated with blues - both dark navy blue & light blue. The red accent is pale, and the yellow accent is paler still.

The fabric is so soft. Somewhat heavy. But soft.

I'm very pleased I ordered this. It's quality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hebridean_MacLeod._resized.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	41171

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to LoE For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by LoE View Post
    I have a question about the House of Edgar Hebridean line. Any thoughts or impressions?
    At one of the last Highland Games I attended prior to the 2020 lockdown a booth had a HoE Hebridean Range sample-book.

I was very impressed with the beautiful designs and colours! Simply put they're gorgeous and I would love to have some kilts from that range, if I could afford them.

Congratulations to you for getting that beautiful cloth.

What jumps out to me, in the "Hebridean" tartans, is Uisge-Beatha. I can imagine a whole tartan outfit jacket/waistcoat/kilt in that cloth.

Last edited by OC Richard; 18th January 22 at 06:12 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's gorgeous. There's something about the HoE Hebridean line that just stands out to me. I love the entire line.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12