X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at it now, USA Kilts has access to both Strathmore and HoE MacLeod Hunting Muted. You could buy a great kilt online with the Strathmore version right now. And I'm sure a phone call to Rocky would yield a way to get one in the HoE version if that's what you prefer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You think so?

USA KILTS doesn't offer great kilts in HoE muted (though they do in Strathmore, as you mentioned). At least not without customization. But from what I've been told, it's not desirable or cost effective to change an HoE 80cm into an HoE 140cm. However much one may like the tartan.

Kinloch Anderson is an alternative to Strathmore in 140cm. Both are available. I have a Strathmore swatch on the way. But I will not order a Kinloch Anderson swatch, because they charge over $30 USA just for the shipping.

I believe I prefer the HoE version by a lot. But I won't know much of anything until swatches arrive.
    Last edited by LoE; 29th August 21 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, yeah, the fact that HoE doesn't even do a 140cm weave does create a problem. If you're wanting a great kilt, I think the Strathmore is going to be your best and potentially only option. Taking the 80cm and making the a great kilt would be more work than it's worth IMO. I ran into the same problem with my own tartan and decided against it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the good news is I really dig the HoE 140cm Hebridean tartan in MacLeod of Harris. It's not approved by the clan chief, but if one is wearing clan badges, tartan pattern can be anything one wants. It's so pretty.

Can't wait for this swatch to arrive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hebridean_MacLeod.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	40542

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to LoE For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great looking tartan. Sounds like you've got a way to move forward.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out at a Highland Games (pre-Covid) I looked through a sample-book/swatch book of House Of Edgar's "Hebridean Range" and there are many very lovely tartans there!

I do believe that House Of Edgar's "Muted Range" is unique to them, going something like this:

Green becomes olive

Blue becomes cobalt/French blue

Red becomes claret

Yellow become sort of a yellow-ochre.

The result is striking.

Also striking, in a very different way, are the tweed tartans made by Marton Mills.

They only have a few, doesn't seem to be a MacLeod of Harris.

https://martonmills.com/product-cate...d-collections/
    Last edited by OC Richard; 30th August 21 at 07:43 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing OC Richard.

I want that HoE muted tartan so badly I'm tempted to get a filleadh beag. Though what I really want is a filleadh mor. I wish they'd offer it in 140cm.

If I'm patient, who knows. Maybe they'll offer it sometime. But I think that's a longshot at best. And I'm too poor to spring for a filleadh beag right now anyway. If I go that route, it'll have to be budgeted months in the future.

Agree. Marton has some very nice looking tweeds.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, am a fan of the House of Edgar muted tartans.

My most recent kilt is from USA Kilts and was made in the HoE muted Maxwell tartan, which is considerably more subdued than the standard red or ancient Maxwell tartans.

I was a little concerned about the lighter weight of the fabric, and while it does tend to wrinkle more easily than my 16 oz. kilts, it snaps back into shape with the application of a little steam.

It has become my favorite kilt of late.

I'm sure you'll be happy with your HoE muted tartan.

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a gorgeous kilt!

I could wear that one. I am a McCoy by adoption, though a MacLeod by birth. The man that adopted me (Michael McCoy, my father) has plenty of Maxwell's in his family tree, starting with his mother. I'm sure he wouldn't be upset if I wore a Maxwell tartan. Especially when it looks that good.

HoE muted strikes a chord with me. The color palette is gorgeous. Seems to be consistently good. Best I've seen.
    Last edited by LoE; 30th August 21 at 04:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an oddball question. Can one wear the little kilt at one's waist instead of one's navel?

What I've read states it should be worn at the navel. But I don't want to do that because I have a beer belly. I'm an old man who's drunk a lot of beer. My navel is by far the widest part of my body. I don't think wearing a belt/kilt at that point will be comfortable. It will probably slide down, driving me crazy the whole time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast